Breeds? And any other info you can offer!

Fourchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Hi all
We've had chickens for years but my son has always wanted a duck. This year we lost a few chickens and only had 3 and his classroom hatched duck eggs! So yesterday, last day of school, he took 2 home.
We know very limited info about ducks...I have tried reading a few sites and have a book but I still feel a little vague on the basics. They're brooding in our bathtub w a heat lamp, eating unmedicated chicken starter w some Brewers yeast, chick grit and grass clippings. Anyone want to offer duckling basics or good place to read the very basics? Take a guess at what type of ducklings these are (teacher didn't know) and tips on integrating eventually with our 3 hens? I tried letting them splash in some very very shallow water and they weren't into it yet!
IMG_20170621_181148.jpg
IMG_20170621_181148.jpg
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170621_181145.jpg
    IMG_20170621_181145.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 1
Hello, ducks are wonderful very funny birds but will become extremely messy. If you think chickens are messy you ain't seen nothing yet. That said they are certainly worth the smelly mess they love making. I have 16 chickens and 5 ducks currently and they all live together relatively peacefully. Mine also eat the same things the only difference is the ducks swim in their pools and the chickens drink from it. I had a chick go for a swim once by accident... she wasn't too happy. Lol
Anywho you seem to have a pekin duck (the yellow one) and I'm not positive on the black and yellow one maybe a black Swedish. I'm not the best at duck breeds. Only ever had pekins haha. You can start integration of the ducks and chickens around 6-8 weeks due to the fact that ducks grow very quickly.

Thanks for your replies! Are these breeds workable as "yard"pets? How much interaction should we have with them? How long keep them on chick starter and what to move on to next? What are good treats and what are def no no's for duck foods? Should they have a blanket or something to cuddle with? Tips on keeping ducks thru new England Winter? We don't heat our chicken coop...will ducks go in w chickens or need own space? Ay. So much to learn

They are great yard pets and the more time you spend handling them the friendlier they'll be as adults. If you look on the back of you feed bag it will say the age for ducks. Ducks loveee fruits and will eat the same things as chickens. I live in New England and my ducks do better than my chickens and I don't use heat either. In fact the ducks "swim" in the snow. I have different houses for my chickens and ducks but they share a run. I know people who have their ducks and chickens in the same house and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom