breeds from critical/threatened list Light Sussex& anothercolor<-chose

I have a extra pen and thought instead of getting some rare color chicken I would help a critical or threatened breed.

Isn't a rare breed the same as a threatened breed?​

The true Black Javas are a threatened breed. Dwayne Ulrich in Minnesota is still really one of the only true commercial breeders I know of. He has been breeding Javas for over 40 years . He charges $5 a chick, but has a waiting list a mile long. The mottled java's sold by hatcheries don't have much if any of the original Java line.

Nancy

Quote:
Isn't a rare breed the same as a threatened breed?

Depends on why it's being called "rare" If it's just uncommon to see a certain color but the
bloodlines are around.. it could be rare but not threatened. Threatened is more about there
not being many of the true genetic bloodline that creates that breed.

Nancy

Quote:
Isn't a rare breed the same as a threatened breed?

Well see I was gonna try for CHOCOLATE ORPINGTON or WYANDOTTE but thought it would be better to help out a breed or 2 that was critical or threatened.So critical/threatened breeds won over a rare novelty color.
I think I will go with Silver Lakenvelder and Golden Campine.I rather like the look of em any one tell me about there temperment and such,im still reading up on em.....

IM getting muticolored Dorkings and they are a multi use bird. Very pretty. If your interested in a breeder there is one here in Montana.

Mostly what very rare/threatened breeds need in the way of help, AFAIK, is for people to dedicate themselves to breeding them long-term in significant numbers (like not just one pen) and from good breeding stock rather than a hatchery.

Not that is is necessarily a bad thing to have one pen of hatchery birds of them, but I'm not sure how much real difference it makes in the long run. So if possible it might be best to get *good* stock and carry a couple of parallel lines and keep it going in a well-designed way.

Quote:
I have heard bad things about aggressive Lakenvelder roos, although I am sure they vary.

I've had a few Golden Campines myself, they are *gorgeous*, very fast-maturing, and my hen (the other 5 chicks were all cockerels, wouldntcha know, and I eventually sold them) is a fairly good layer of small to medium white eggs, but... they are NUTS. Like Leghorns, and not in a good way
wink.png
The sky is always falling, and they only seem to have two modes, 'full panic' and 'waiting to go into full panic'. Not stupid or fearful, just *nuts*. They would probably survive very well free-ranging, with all that paranoia and energy, but for me they are just too hard on the nerves. I prefer more decaffeinated-type chickens
tongue.png
I know that other people have different tastes in chicken personalities so if you *like* chickens like this then by all means get Campines, I'm just sayin'
smile.png

Pat

Last edited:
Cubalayas are very hardy birds! Mine seem to be a little small for large fowl, but they are great! They lay a ton of small eggs even when it gets cold, and they are extremely friendly. They hens are super-docile and the roosters are beautiful "lobster-tailed" birds. The black breasted are the showiest, but i have a gorgeous blue-red cock that is wonderful! I have a lot of other breeds, but this is starting to become one of my favorites! Do some research on them, they are pretty cool!

Quote:
Cubalaya from hatchery lines are small and missing some features of the breed like the "rosary" spurs and double tails. If you can find a breeder, who's been breeding for longer than at least 5 years, you'll find some very good sized fowl that match the standard of perfection.

Two hatcheries that have been in keeping with the standard are Urch/Turnland and Sandhill Preservation's black breasted reds.

I deceded to just stick with Sussex since I realy realy like my Speckled Sussex so much.Ill try Light and Silver Sussex if I can get any that is...

I wasn't referring to novelty colors, that probably don't even exist in the US unless you feel like developing one. I was referring to something like the Pyncheon which is here and a rare/threatened breed in the US.

The Sussex is another great breed that more people should focus on to build their numbers. Chantecler is another breed that comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom