1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds? Help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jimagination, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Ok, I received my chix yesterday and they are all great. I also received the extra"rare" chick. So that would be 26 chicks and I have 27 so that is cool, but we are trying to figure out which one is the "rare" chick and what it may be. These are pics of the chicks we are questioning. We have a browner chick then the rest, but couldn't it be the Ameraucana chick as well? Then we have two yellow chicks, but I have seen online Ameraucan chicks like this as well. Someone have any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Jodi

2. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Does that yellow one have a brown spot on top of its head?

3. Jimagination

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    There is a little darker/tan spot on her/his head.

4. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    I got one of those too. Did you order from mcmurray?

5. Jimagination

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    yes...do you have any idea what it is?

6. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Got my book now and checking it out let you know if I can figure it out. Did you order any White Leghorns?

7. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I think the brown one is another Ameraucana chick. I have (had...she's feathered now!) one that looks just like it. The yellow one could be Ameraucana as well, or another breed. Can you get a shot of its face so we can see the dark spot?

When I got my Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers, I had the little 'chipmunk' ones, all dark ones, all light (yellow) ones, brown ones, etc. Of the 5 light ones, one is now white with what I'd call a dark "rust" colored, one is all white, one is all buff, one is white with edges of grey on all its feathers, and one is white with what I call "pumpkin" orange (we've named her Pie....as in Pumpkin Pie...lol [​IMG] ) So its hard to tell at a day old wether the light one you have will be Ameraucana or another breed, but maybe a good head shot will help someone else here label it?

8. Jimagination

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    I will try to get a better pic. Is it possible they would have just given me another AMeraucana as my free one, do you think?

9. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Well, I believe MM does have Ameraucanas listed as a rare breed on their site, so it IS a possibility I suppose. That sure would be the easy-out, dont you think?

10. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    I'm thinking thats what they did. I can't figure out anything else. I guess I just have to wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by