breeds of broody ducks ANYONE PLEASE!!!!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
HI all,

I'm going to be getting some new ducks soon but i would like too know which of these three duck breeds are broody

Cayuga.

Khaki Campbell.

and Rouen.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Cayuga is probably the broodiest on your list. You might look in Ancona or Welsh Harlequin. For the absolute broodiest duck around, go with Muscovy. Those girls spend 70% of their time in that nest box!

Last edited:
Quote:
Cayuga is probably the broodiest on your list. You might look in Ancona or Welsh Harlequin. For the absolute broodiest duck around, go with Muscovy. Those girls spend 70% of their time in that nest box!

Oops...I said the other 2 but I have to say that I have no experience with broodines yet.....

Well, those are the only ones that i have at the moment. Well to be exact I have

1 male Cayuga

1 male and 1 female Rouen

and 1 male Khaki.
so i amd getting 1 Cayuga female 5 Rouen girls and 5 khaki girls.

scratch that! I'm getting 1 Cayuga female 5 Rouen females and 4 females and 1 male of welsh harlequin. no khakis.

All of my khakis are broody right now. 2 of them were sharing a nest (40 + eggs). The eggs started to hatch, and I went out to find them killing the babies! SO I removed all of their eggs and now have them hatching in the incubator.
The other one still has 2 1/2 weeks left, but I am going to take her eggs too.
They make excellent broody hens when it comes to sitting, but they make HORRIBLE mothers.

I do have 2 muscovy hens on eggs too. I have heard great things about them, but their eggs haven't started hatching yet.

well, i heard that Welsh Harlequin are AWESOME! broodies and wonderful mothers this is what i read on metzer farms about WH

The Welsh Harlequin is a fairly new breed, developed by Leslie Bonnett in Wales from two off-colored Khaki Campbell ducklings in 1949. They came to the United States in 1968 and were accepted into the American Poultry Association in 2001 in the Light Duck class. They are becoming a very popular breed due to their multipurpose characteristics. They have excellent egg production abilities due to their Khaki Campbell background yet retain the instinct to sit and hatch a nest full of ducklings. They are calm, inquisitive and excellent foragers. They seem to be the calmest bird on our farm.

They can also make an outstanding dressed bird as their under-feathers are almost exclusively white making their carcass as pretty as a pure white bird. Interestingly, they can be sexed after hatching with 90% accuracy by their bill color. Darker bills mean a male and lighter bills ending in a dark spot are normally females. Within several days this distinction disappears. They are also a beautiful bird, especially the feather patterns and colors on the adult females.

I thought they looked beautiful to, well the male is prettier i think.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/BreedPics/WelshHarlequinAdult.jpg

and the babies are adorable!
http://www.metzerfarms.com/BreedPics/WelshHarlequinBaby.jpg

What do y'all think?

Back
Top Bottom