Breeds of meat birds

The_Coop

Chirping
Jun 19, 2020
I am looking to start another batch of meat birds. I have recently done meat chickens with Jumbo Cornish Rock chickens, but I was wondering if there is another preferred breed for them.
Thanks!!

Those are hardly any alternative to the cornishx. Actually there is no Bird That can challenge their growth performance
All this depends on what the grower wants. Does the grower want a true-breeding or dual-purpose chicken? Does the grower want strong foragers?

I’ll admit that I’m playing with a very small test group of 4 Cornish X . They have been fun to raise, especially with some restricted feeding and “flying for food.” They have great personalities and are just nice chickens overall. It’s so fun to see them fly for food in the morning and evening.

They’re nowhere near processing weight mostly because I’m deliberately slowing them down to see whether I can get a hen to reach laying age.

All this depends on what the grower wants. Does the grower want a true-breeding or dual-purpose chicken? Does the grower want strong foragers?

I’ll admit that I’m playing with a very small test group of 4 Cornish X . They have been fun to raise, especially with some restricted feeding and “flying for food.” They have great personalities and are just nice chickens overall. It’s so fun to see them fly for food in the morning and evening.

They’re nowhere near processing weight mostly because I’m deliberately slowing them down to see whether I can get a hen to reach laying age.
Thanks for that!! Do you know around which weight you would start butchering the Cornish X? I accidentally butchered them a little to early and would like to know around what weight would be perfect.

I currently have 26 CX. They are almost 8 weeks old and 5-6 pounds. I am going to keep 4-5 pullets to breed with my black australorp rooster. There is already an old thread here on that. Hopefully they can be sustainable to a point.
This is my first meat bird flock and I'm blown away how good of a bird the CX is.

I currently have 26 CX. They are almost 8 weeks old and 5-6 pounds. I am going to keep 4-5 pullets to breed with my black australorp rooster. There is already an old thread here on that. Hopefully they can be sustainable to a point.
This is my first meat bird flock and I'm blown away how good of a bird the CX is.
K thanks!!! Now I know for next time!!!

They are to fat already You need to seriously Starve them now, like 90 grams per day feed. The breeder hens should weigh about 5 pounds by 20 weeks of age and 9 pounds by age 60

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom