Breeds of quail that live inside

Dec 17, 2017
North Carolina
I don't know much about quail but I'm really starting to like them there tiny beaks big round body I know with chickens silkies are the best house breeds are button quail the best to keep inside and if they are than do you have to get quail dippers?

Button quail are cute, but they are hard to tame. It can be done if you handle them a lot from a young age, but there is no guarantee they will end up tame. And if they are not tame, they are better of living permanently in a big cage than being taken out and caught again every day. Their poops are smaller than the other breeds = they dry op faster and stink less, so that makes them more suitable for living inside. Coturnix quail are much more domesticated and calm though, so if you want tame birds they are probably the way to go.

I second the Coturnix as a pet. They are so docile and the chicks are the sweetest. They can be a bit dusty indoors so that's something to consider. No worse than keeping a cockatoo though. You'd need at least two so they have company, so two boys, or two girls, or a group of one male to at least three females.

I second the Coturnix as a pet. They are so docile and the chicks are the sweetest. They can be a bit dusty indoors so that's something to consider. No worse than keeping a cockatoo though. You'd need at least two so they have company, so two boys, or two girls, or a group of one male to at least three females.
ok thanks! If you had a male and a female would the male bully her?

ok thanks! If you had a male and a female would the male bully her?

Coturnix males can be quite aggressively amorous so one female would end up bald if there wasn't the space for her to get away and hide from him (I'm talking a well planted aviary type space). Females happily coexist and one takes on the lead role and will sometimes tidbit to the others, but there won't be any breeding behaviour. Females are very quiet in general and sound like crickets, but sometimes if a flock mate disappears or they are calling out to a mate they can get loud.

Coturnix males can be quite aggressively amorous so one female would end up bald if there wasn't the space for her to get away and hide from him (I'm talking a well planted aviary type space). Females happily coexist and one takes on the lead role and will sometimes tidbit to the others, but there won't be any breeding behaviour. Females are very quiet in general and sound like crickets, but sometimes if a flock mate disappears or they are calling out to a mate they can get loud.
Is it possible to keep a 'bachelor pen' for cots, or will they kill each other?

Back
Top Bottom