Breeds ok to mix with my flock?

I raised some Speckled Sussex this year... The 2 hens were/are very sweet, the roosters were horrid, loud, noisy, aggressive, I believe one killed my Silver Laced Cochin hen by jumping on her while she was trying to lay an egg... I started with 4 of them, they are all gone except one, because as they aggressed each other and caused trouble, I removed and ate them. During this time, I also raised 4 Light Brahma roosters with the Speckled Sussex roos. They are all still here, getting along with each other fine, through it all. The Buff Brahmas however, were not able to get along with each other either. It was never my intent to have so many roosters, but I ordered straight run of these breeds and each had twice as many roosters as hens. It is much calmer and quieter now that the Speckled Sussex Roos are gone. I won't be getting any more. But I wouldn't mind having more of the hens, though they haven't turned out to be all that great as egg layers, really.

I have a mixed flock and like people say depends on individual chicken. My flock has Jersey Giants, Polish, Silkies, Favorellas, Seabright Bantams and Cochins. They get along fine. I have 45 that include 2 Silkie roos, 1 Sebright roo and 1 Favorella roo. The roosters all get along too. Silkie roos are very protective of new chicks.
Oh I have a dark Brahma too

A few years ago I planned to raise a small flock of SS, and so ordered straight run chicks, over a couple of years, from three different sources. LOVED the hens, but the cock birds were a different story. Half of them (the larger birds, naturally) were human aggressive jerks; the other, smaller boys were charming. I rehomed the couple of sweet cock birds, and now only keep SS hens.
Roosters are always a possible adventure, regardless of breed.
To generalize; Salmon Favorelle cockerels are wonderful! So far, all my white Chanteclers from the same source have been fine. Other breed cockerels can be however they want to be. Most of my Belgian d'Uccles are good, and Cackle's EE bantam boys too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom