Breeds susceptible to fishy eggs from flax..

Katanahamon

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
Hi, wondering if any studies have been done, read this morning that most hens have an enzyme that negates the fishy taste from eggs from eating too much flax supplement, but some breeds are lacking this enzyme. Anyone know which ones?

I don't have an answer for that, but I did just read that it is cotton seed and cotton seed oil responsible for most of the fishy tasting eggs, and that fish meal does not cause fishy tasting eggs. I was no aware that flax caused off flavors as well.

Well, if my experience in the last few weeks is any indicator, I'd say Legbars and Legbar crosses is one of them. I've been feeding Layena "with Omega-3's" for the past six weeks or so, but since most of my eggs are actually used in baking, hadn't really noticed anything. Tried boiling a couple for the first time the other day, and had to throw them out. Thought they were just "old" although the dates indicated only 3 weeks. So, tried boiling a couple of laid-that-day-eggs (peeling those was fun, I can tell you,) and when they had the same funky taste, started googling "fishy tasting eggs." To be quite fair, this is the first I've heard of it.

I just got my first flock of 15 assorted breed chickens last summer and of the handful that have started laying, one of them has the fishy smelling eggs. She's a Black Star (sex linked hybrid I think?) and was my first one to lay at 18 weeks, and she lays pretty much every day. Unfortunately they stink! I was coming here to ask for recommendations for a good layer feed that is low in canola/flaxseed/rapeseed?

I just got my first flock of 15 assorted breed chickens last summer and of the handful that have started laying, one of them has the fishy smelling eggs. She's a Black Star (sex linked hybrid I think?) and was my first one to lay at 18 weeks, and she lays pretty much every day. Unfortunately they stink! I was coming here to ask for recommendations for a good layer feedi that is low in canola/flaxseed/rapeseed?
First eggs can taste weird.
If you want a universally beloved feed, try Purina Layena.

Back
Top Bottom