Breeds that went Broody and Aren't supposed to

Jackie B. :

Quote:
I think my BOs were hatchery chicks and from my understanding hatchery birds have less of a tendancy to go broody. My Oliver Egger is a Black rumpless Aracauna over a FCM hen. My Silchen is a silkie crossed with a cochin. Yeah she may have the broodiness in her with the Silkie, but hey, what do I know. From the additions to this thread, my assumption was correct: there really isn't any rhyme or reason as to what breeds decide to go broody, at what age, and to what extent. You can only assume based on what you read and talk to people based on their past experiences!

IMO you have the broodiest of all chicken breeds.. If I wanted to discuss a breed to go broody- first would be silky, 2nd would be cochin, next would be BO. We've had tons and tons of EE go broody as well, mostly due to the crosses that make them up.

WHere did you read that these breeds don't go broody? I think that I'd be finding another resource to learn from...

Personally, I'll trade you flocks... I wish I had an entire flock that would go broody at different times. When you want it, it doesn't happen... When you don't, it'll happen 100% of the time...​

Quote:
I think my BOs were hatchery chicks and from my understanding hatchery birds have less of a tendancy to go broody. My Oliver Egger is a Black rumpless Aracauna over a FCM hen. My Silchen is a silkie crossed with a cochin. Yeah she may have the broodiness in her with the Silkie, but hey, what do I know. From the additions to this thread, my assumption was correct: there really isn't any rhyme or reason as to what breeds decide to go broody, at what age, and to what extent. You can only assume based on what you read and talk to people based on their past experiences!

IMO you have the broodiest of all chicken breeds.. If I wanted to discuss a breed to go broody- first would be silky, 2nd would be cochin, next would be BO. We've had tons and tons of EE go broody as well, mostly due to the crosses that make them up.

WHere did you read that these breeds don't go broody? I think that I'd be finding another resource to learn from...

Personally, I'll trade you flocks... I wish I had an entire flock that would go broody at different times. When you want it, it doesn't happen... When you don't, it'll happen 100% of the time...

I learned everything here! Just look on this thread even, someone has a dozen BOs, and some are broody. Then the next person that has BOs hasn't had a single one go broody. Yeah I know I guess I'm silly b/c I know silkies are notirous for being broody, but haven't see or heard a lot of EEs being good mommys.

Sure I"ll trade you...if my husband will let me get an incubator. Now that I do have broodies I want more babies!!!!! hahahahaha

Quote:
I hear 'ya.... my White Leghorn is now broody for the second time. She is my fourth broody this year - 2 OE and one Ameraucana went first. (Both OE's are Marans/ Amearucana crosses). I have explained to her that we now have 12 chicks running around and there is no room for more, and that she had her shot at motherhood last year She just screaches at me.
idunno.gif

According to some of the hatchery catalogs I have, Buff Orpingtons are suppsed to be excellent mothers, but my 2 hens have yet to go broody. My bantam cochin also has never gone broody, but my 2 OEGBs both went broody at the same time, so I just put some of the cochin's eggs under them. I have a year old Ameraucana who also hasn't gone broody yet. On the other side, we've had 3 mixed hens go broody along with my OEGBs this year, and one of my OEGBs tried to go broody for a 2nd time after hatching out a chick in the spring, so I'm actually kind of glad the others didn't get bitten by the broody bug. Two of the mixed hens are still broody; I've been taking the eggs away from them, but I'm thinking maybe I should just let them hatch some, so they'll get over it. lol!

Jackie B. :

Quote:

Personally, I'll trade you flocks... I wish I had an entire flock that would go broody at different times. When you want it, it doesn't happen... When you don't, it'll happen 100% of the time...

I learned everything here! Just look on this thread even, someone has a dozen BOs, and some are broody. Then the next person that has BOs hasn't had a single one go broody. Yeah I know I guess I'm silly b/c I know silkies are notirous for being broody, but haven't see or heard a lot of EEs being good mommys.

Sure I"ll trade you...if my husband will let me get an incubator. Now that I do have broodies I want more babies!!!!! hahahahaha​

You hit it on the head with that statement.. Just b/c a hen goes broody, doesn't mean she'll be a good moma.. I can't count the number of knuckleheads we've had over the years that always want to set, and then get up after a couple of weeks, or the ones who do hatch, and then stand around with no idea of what to do... hate to say it, but those old broads sure tasted good in stew...

I wish I had some broody ones right now, I'm ready for another hatch out the easy way.

Quote:
Some silkies, from what I've read, will go broody after a month of laying. Worthless chickens!! Haha J/K. But, then again, it normally takes silkies longer to begin to lay anyways.

Jackie B. :

Quote:
Some silkies, from what I've read, will go broody after a month of laying. Worthless chickens!! Haha J/K. But, then again, it normally takes silkies longer to begin to lay anyways.

I have 5 14 week olds 2 BR, one BA, and two EE, and two 9 month olds, 1 PR and 1 BO. Which of these should I expect to go broody if any? I know the BO has a high chance but what about the others? I don't really want any broodies but I know it happens. Will they be less likely to go broody since I don't have a rooster?​

Whether or not you have a rooster will have no effect on your hens going broody. As far as which ones will be more likely to go broody, I have no idea. Buff Orps. are known for broodyness, but mine have yet to get the broody bug, so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom