Bresse Chickens

Pics
I'm going to give this Big Boy a whirl at breeding the girls. He's massive. BTW, Nice pic chicken tows. Yummy. I have one in mind for that also. Golden brown skin is the best trait to achieve in this breed. Nice job.

Last edited:
I can't wait, we have eggs coming in the summer.
droolin.gif

I have a couple of the Black Bresse. The older one I think is a male and the younger may turn out to be the same. But I am not sure on either. The older one seemed to take a while to feather out fully and the comb and wattles seem large indicating boy but have no young female to compare to. Does anyone have pictures they would be willing to share on what they look like as they mature?

I want to share this video. It is Jacques Pepin. I especially enjoy the mention of the Bresse chickens at 3:00. He mentions that when he was young, chicken wasn't aThen at 10:40 he demonstrates his Ballotine of Chicken (deboned chicken). I tried this on a store bought chicken and it is as simple as he shows it to be. Also, it is absolutely delicious. I am very anxious to try this with a Bresse chicken. Patience, patience, patience.
pop.gif

http://blogs.kqed.org/essentialpepin/2011/09/10/episode-126-fowl-play/

I
I am currently trying to get Bresse into my local specialty meat shops.. what are the legal requirements to be able to do this? Does anyone have any advice?
It depends on what state you are in. For instance, in Alabama, small poultry producers cannot process and sell poultry commercially. There is an exemption from permitting for those who process less than 999 birds annually with the department of agriculture. However, establishments permitted by the Health Department can only sell meat processed in a properly permitted facility. Since small producers cannot be permitted by USDA (because they are exempt) they are not an "approved" source. They can, however, sell directly to the public as long as they meet certain requirements. You should check with your state Department of Agriculture and/or your local Health Department for requirements in your area.

We just put our second batch of White Bresse in lock down.
We were able to get a good hatch last time, 48 out of 60 survived.
I am here on the N.Ill /S.Wis. border. We are hoping for an early spring so they can get out into the pasture.
My 3 week old chicks eat a little less than a Cornish cross the same age.
I can only imagine the feed cost when the capons are fed the dairy cereal mix for 4 weeks.
I would be curious to see the direct cost of capons from start to finish using the French method.
I won't know for about another 4-5 months on my direct cost per unit.
If there is anyone out there who has done the French method of raising the Bresse please chime in, inquiring minds need to know.
Also what the projected market price may be.
I figure it will be between $9.00 - $5.50 per pound. as this is what our organic Turkey are sold.

Back
Top Bottom