Bresse Chickens

Cockerel Neck (hackle) above.

Cockerel Saddle above.

Pullut Neck above.

Pullet Saddle above.

These are from my White Bresse they are 5 1/2 months old.
As you can see the whole feather pattern on the cockerel makes a smooth silkie cover from neck to tail.
While the pullet almost seems to have ruffled edges.
It took me a while to figure out who was what. That's why this cockerel's name is Molly!

No body is crowing except the older Roo. I have a couple pullets laying now and really their combs are as big as the suspected cockerels (except the laying females combs do not stand straight up. They are floppy). With this small flock I can't afford to kill off a pullet! I guess I might have to wait to see who's crowing next. I just hope that the meat is still going to be good??
welcome-byc.gif
It'll be good. Just finish them off with milk and cornmeal the last couple of weeks.

I just cleaned out the brooder box

I think I just have 2 males, but it's early to tell so far, and of the 6 black chicks, only 1 is female? Agh!

Ok I found my scale to weigh eggs. My Bresse have been laying since April/may and after about 3 months have gotten quite big.
One egg is 62 grams and one is 58 grams. Large size eggs.
I froze the processed cockerels but when I defrost one I'll weigh it too

Ok I found my scale to weigh eggs. My Bresse have been laying since April/may and after about 3 months have gotten quite big.
One egg is 62 grams and one is 58 grams. Large size eggs.
I froze the processed cockerels but when I defrost one I'll weigh it too

As they get a year old they should get to extra large size. I even have one that lays a jumbo on the Jiffy scale.

As they get a year old they should get to extra large size. I even have one that lays a jumbo on the Jiffy scale.

That's amazing! They are one of my favorite breeds for sure. The first cockerel was a little aggressive, but his replacement son seems much better.
I think the fact that this one wasn't top of the pecking order.
So I'm very happy with processing the boys and keeping the girls for layers. Great dual purpose birds for sure!

They are already jousting with each other, flying from one end of the brooder box to the other. Their personalities are beginning to emerge.

I hatched out 8 of 12 hatching eggs once and could not tell which were pullets or cockerels...because they were all pullets!

the Boys should be crowing by now.

this happened to me too! I have had a pullet year this year (except marans) i have been selling them sexed older and 75% girls have been making me nervous! I saved some for trade outs if im wrong but no angry calls yet.

this happened to me too! I have had a pullet year this year (except marans) i have been selling them sexed older and 75% girls have been making me nervous! I saved some for trade outs if im wrong but no angry calls yet.
this is the only breed that I could is about 80-90% boys

this is the only breed that I could is about 80-90% boys

according to the law of averages(
lau.gif
) if you have 90% boys than someone else will have 90% girls. The ratio will, over many hatches, equal close to 50\50.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom