Bresse Chickens

The people I got mine from said they did theirs at 24 weeks old. One thing you could try if you can't tell the sex of birds by now, is the color of the combs. Our girls's combs (these are 6 weeks old) are paler pink and not as pointy as the cockerals. I will try to get a photo.

Here's the girl in front (that's a sexlink cockeral/capon in the back). Photo of the cockerel (now a capon) coming in a sec. They hatched at the same time.

Last edited:
Here's the cockeral. Not a great photo, but it was the best I could get with my phone. He's about 6 wks old.
Hope this works.

Last edited:
I hatched some eggs a month ago. The pure White Bresse are little bigger and heavier than White Bresse cross. This breed sure keeper so far as long as the growth rate go. I can't wait when they start laying and have a chance to taste highly sought breed.

I have a young pullet from my Bresse rooster who's mom is a Partridge Rock. She's got all the characteristics of her dad, but has 3 brown spots and is lanky and all leg atm (I think she was hatched in January).
I also crossed him with a silver gray Dorking. She too has all the characteristics of the dad, except the eyes are shaped like her mom's. We're testing to see if we notice a difference in taste but it'll be a few months before theyr old enough. We're also wanting to see they taste compared to a capon of the same.

Interested in hearing more from others too.
I hope you post the taste test result of Bresse vs. Bresse x Dorking here in the future. I am interest the cross outcome as well. I love the Silver Grey Dorking sweet flavor taste, but hate slow growth rate.

This guy showed up on my property today. Bresse, er no?
The color of the legs say it is. He looks to be still young, as mine get older the color of the legs isn't as a dark steel. I have a photo of my rooster about that age. The width of the chest, drumstick/thighs, and the way they walk (like Herman Munster) are pretty obvious. You'll know. Update: the photos are on my old hard drive. So this is the best I can do, both of these roos are Bresse. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom