Bresse Chickens

Is Bresse Farms a reputable breeder of Bresse?
I know they are really nice. I have been trying to get chicks from them since Feb. and they have not yet filled the order. They have kept in contact though. When I get the chicks, I will definitely post pictures here. I ordered the blue bresse. I think if I had ordered something more common they could have filled it more quickly.

Update to my post above. Received an email today that I am next on the list and should get my order next week. Also, they told me in an earlier conversation that they keep all 4 imports of the American Bresse (white) lines separately, so they are all available if someone wanted a cockerel/pullets from a different line. The 4 lines have some subtle differences between them, according to Randy Moss at the Bresse Farm.

You will never find any of these outside of the Bresse region. The breed is owned by a co-op of hatcheries, growers and processors. They control and own the genetics. I asked the representative of the group if they would eventually consider selling any breeding stock. the answer was a categoric NO.

While hard to find outside France it is still very much possible to find Gauloises to rear if you don't live in France. I personally have 36 of them. We found a seller and this was how he got them: He worked in the livestock industry. he would transport live cattle from Ireland to Abu Dhabi and pass France on the way. Each round trip was about 3 months. On his way back he bought some live La Bresse and brounght them back to Ireland. This is believe might be illegal to some extent but I am not sure. This other seller had a similar story regarding livestock transportation. There is one problem with this however the bloodline might be very close. With the 20 we got from the first seller there were 2 with defects in their legs (they were twisted to one side causing it to be difficult to walk this got worse over time) due to inbreeding I believe. So finding other sources was a must to maintain the quality and population. I'm not sure how easily they can be found in America but I'm sure its possible. There are multiple threads where people have already found them and are rearing them.

Anybody ever heard of French Bresse Blue Footed CHickens? Supposed to be a really good meat bird. There was an article about chicken (to eat) in the paper and it mentioned that breed. It said that the tasteless grocery store variety was why chicken has such a poor reputation and if you had a good chicken to eat it makes all the difference.
Still out there to get them? I'm not sure if you still live where you do but here's a list of sellers in Florida. Extremely expensive. But hey, at least they are in the states. I personally got mine for 5 euros which is about $5.60.
https://orlando.craigslist.org/grd/6169801479.html
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/grd/6112928072.html

These were hatched April 6, so 11 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    438.8 KB · Views: 14
  • fullsizeoutput_ab7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ab7.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    679 KB · Views: 16
I'm picking up my first Bresse hatching eggs today! They're from a veterinarian that's from France, so I'm figuring he should know what he's doing breed wise. Hope he lets me pick his brains for at least a few minutes.

Greenfire Farms Imported Bresse. From my understanding, there have been 4 separate imports. In the US, they must be designated as American Bresse. According to the French the only true Bresse are raised and finished in the French manner in France. There are several places you can get American Bresse eggs or chicks. The prices are all over the place. We processed 10 a couple of weeks ago. They are great! I did not hold to the French standard of finishing them as it is just too hot here!!! They free ranged until the end. Next time, I will plan my processing date better for a cooler time of year.

Greenfire Farms Imported Bresse. From my understanding, there have been 4 separate imports. In the US, they must be designated as American Bresse. According to the French the only true Bresse are raised and finished in the French manner in France. There are several places you can get American Bresse eggs or chicks. The prices are all over the place. We processed 10 a couple of weeks ago. They are great! I did not hold to the French standard of finishing them as it is just too hot here!!! They free ranged until the end. Next time, I will plan my processing date better for a cooler time of year.
I found out that because he has veterinary licenses in both France and America, that he can import hatching eggs himself, and did indeed sneak these in directly from France. Without their knowlege of course, because normally France wouldn't allow that. So apparently these are not Greenfire or Canada birds. I'm definitely planning on keeping some back as breeders.

I received my order from the Bresse Farm in MS today. Paid for them 2/22 and received them 8/2. These are Blue Bresse, which are supposed to be ultra-rare. I hope I dont have as much trouble hatching them as they apparently do! If anyone knows anything about these blue bresse, please let me know if these look correct. They were supposed to be 2 days old, but the ages appear to be all over the place. 2 apparent cockerels in the group.
fullsizeoutput_bcc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bc8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bca.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bcd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bcb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bc9.jpeg

I received my order from the Bresse Farm in MS today. Paid for them 2/22 and received them 8/2. These are Blue Bresse, which are supposed to be ultra-rare. I hope I dont have as much trouble hatching them as they apparently do! If anyone knows anything about these blue bresse, please let me know if these look correct. They were supposed to be 2 days old, but the ages appear to be all over the place. 2 apparent cockerels in the group.View attachment 1098786 View attachment 1098787 View attachment 1098788 View attachment 1098789 View attachment 1098790 View attachment 1098791
I peruse their website on occasion and have been tempted. Just can't help but wonder if their utility use as a meat bird is different than the white ones. I don't remember reading anywhere that France breeds blues and blacks, so I have to wonder what was crossed in to make the different colors, or if they are in fact pure. Looking forward to your updates to see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom