Bresse Chickens

I have one 3.5 years old Blue Bresse hen. She has some silver feathers as well. Those who own show quality Blue Orpington. They feather are beautiful.
I am raise White Bresse as dual purpose so the blue one end up in the pot soon.
In the pot? That's too bad, blue birds are so pretty in my opinion. Every flock has to have one mascot just for fun.. :)

Went out and got some updated pics today. Unfortunately, as you can see, I'm in southern AZ. There's no grass here. So they get soaked alfalfa pellets and whatever else I can get them for greens.
IMG_20171106_152141.jpg
IMG_20171106_152131.jpg
IMG_20171106_152105.jpg
IMG_20171106_150523.jpg

The poule de Bresse is a DOC (denomination d'origine controlee). Bresse is in the Burgundy region of France. The birds are rather large, white feather and blue feet. You will never find any of these outside of the Bresse region. The breed is owned by a co-op of hatcheries, growers and processors. They control and own the genetics. I asked the representative of the group if they would eventually consider selling any breeding stock. the answer was a categoric NO. The blue foot you find in some retail stores mostly in Northeast came from Canada and are a poor knock off, the only similarity being the blue feet. not a great eating bird. Keep in mind that a Breese chicken sells in France for around $70 dressed. not your everyday chicken.
Cheers,
Denis Dronne

Good evening, we have Jersey Giant and Swedish Flower chickens. A breeder from France came over to pic up Jersey Giant breeding chickens.
And we asked about the Poul de Bresse. He brought Poul de bresse breeding chickens with him from a DOC co-op breeder. We have had Poul de Galouise before from the Netherlands and Germany (association), but those chickens have nothing to do with the breed Poul de Bresse or Galouise called outsite of Bresse.
But now we have real Poul the Bresse, they are so nice and can not wait for the breeding season next year. breeding for us is just for fun, to preserve the breeds and hobby. Not for making money, our little son gets it all for saving for later.
It is so nice to see so many fan of this and other breeds, just enjoying chickens.

Good evening, we have Jersey Giant and Swedish Flower chickens. A breeder from France came over to pic up Jersey Giant breeding chickens.
And we asked about the Poul de Bresse. He brought Poul de bresse breeding chickens with him from a DOC co-op breeder. We have had Poul de Galouise before from the Netherlands and Germany (association), but those chickens have nothing to do with the breed Poul de Bresse or Galouise called outsite of Bresse.
But now we have real Poul the Bresse, they are so nice and can not wait for the breeding season next year. breeding for us is just for fun, to preserve the breeds and hobby. Not for making money, our little son gets it all for saving for later.
It is so nice to see so many fan of this and other breeds, just enjoying chickens.

I am raising them for hobby as well. There is no profit with breed that take 16+ weeks. I have seen folk post on Craigslist $30-$35 that ready to butch after feeding them milk.

Try Jersey Giants that take 2 years ...
But our little son is getting some saving from the poultry, we just pay all the cost. But that is just fine, we enjoy the chickens so mutch and our son is getting some from them.
Still 16 weeks is a lot less than 2 years, looking forward sorry Bresse.

Try Jersey Giants that take 2 years ...
But our little son is getting some saving from the poultry, we just pay all the cost. But that is just fine, we enjoy the chickens so mutch and our son is getting some from them.
Still 16 weeks is a lot less than 2 years, looking forward sorry Bresse.
I have some Jersey Giants that I've been raising with my Bresse. They are from a big hatchery, not a good show line, but at just over 3 months old they're already bigger than my biggest laying hens which are mainly Naked Necks and some mixed breeds, but are very lean. I understand they fill out later, like over a year old? They're in that goofy stage and run like Emu's, it's fun to watch!
IMG_20171106_150436.jpeg
IMG_20171106_152126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom