Bresse Chickens

I ordered chicks from bresse farms.... good prices, nice folks to deal with and I actually got live chicks! I have had very limited success with shipped eggs...... just my experience

I ordered chicks from bresse farms.... good prices, nice folks to deal with and I actually got live chicks! I have had very limited success with shipped eggs...... just my experience
That's one of the better reports I've heard. There's a convo about them going on in the fb Bresse group. People with sickly chicks that break legs and die in just the first few weeks. People that swear never to buy from them again. Please keep up updated on how they do.

That's one of the better reports I've heard. There's a convo about them going on in the fb Bresse group. People with sickly chicks that break legs and die in just the first few weeks. People that swear never to buy from them again. Please keep up updated on how they do.
I read some folks get cross breed from them. Have you look on Craigslist? I am looking GreenFire Farms 2nd generation bloodline myself, but still no luck locally.

I got mine back in nov.... still going strong. I lost a few when we put them outside in jan..... mostly cuz it was so cold I do not believe my losses were related to the birds themselves just the cold and time of year they got moved outside.

I have couple roosters and they tend to shake the head backward and forward few times. Does anyone rooster behavior this way?

Got my Bresse/NN pen put together the other day, in the same pen that I had the pure Bresse in last year. Probably a bit early, the roo is only 5 months old, but I like his temperment and he's the largest Bresse/NN that I have currently. At about 3 months he was pretty meaty, but is going through another growth spurt and is more big boned right now. If I can get a strain that produces a decent carcass at 12-16 weeks, they can go through a growth spurt and then fill out again at 7+ months as good roasters, I'll be more than happy. The next couple generations will tell. It's a gamble to see what kind of genetics the NN rooster passes on that I made them with. If they retain the nice yellow oily fat of the Bresse I'll be ecstatic! I'm really hoping one of the hens will go broody this year so I don't have to incubate any. I'm trying to minimize the number of birds I have to raise in the brooder/growout this year.
0228191040i.jpg
0228191040f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom