Bresse Chickens

I seen a video on YouTube that mentioned having leg and crooked toe problems with bresse from green fire farms . I was curious if anyone else who got them from greenfire farms experienced this ?
Often those types of problems are nutritional, like the hen laying the egg was either lacking in certain things or not digesting properly. It can happen to anyone, but if GFF was feeding something that was lacking in something, it can do it. Not necessarily genetic.

That’s what I was curious to see if it was just a problem from the guy in the video raising them or if it was something from the supplier and a common problem other people who bought them from greenfire have had

That’s what I was curious to see if it was just a problem from the guy in the video raising them or if it was something from the supplier and a common problem other people who bought them from greenfire have had
The only surefire way to know would be to breed the lame birds and see if they throw more like themselves. They'd want to hatch out a good 20 eggs. If none of the offspring get it, then it's diet.

I seen a video on YouTube that mentioned having leg and crooked toe problems with bresse from green fire farms . I was curious if anyone else who got them from greenfire farms experienced this ?
The problem is there are a few different causes for that, and you'll never know what caused it in that case. It can be genetic, from breeding poorly where you're inbreeding (not a bad thing if done *right*) and end up doubling up on crooked genetics. It can be from breeder nutrition. It can be from incubating and hatching poorly (crooked toes most notably). And it could even be from improper chick nutrition, if it's showing up a little later rather than straight out of the shell.

Hi all! I'm trying to start a meat flock for White American Bresse. I have purchased and tried hatching 24 eggs so far. And So far have only hatched 5 Bresse chicks sadly. the oldest 3 are almost 5 weeks now and in the sexing section, they're telling me I have 3 males. I'm very doubtful on one being a cockerel though. I figure people with more Bresse experience might be able to confirm or give me my hope back that I have at least one girl lol The two I agree are likely cockerels as the combs are already darkening and almost red at this point. The one through the comb is staying lighter pink and is way smaller than the other two, though larger than pullets usually are this young. The pictures are terrible but any opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• bresse suspect female.png
    bresse suspect female.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190421_212204.jpg
    20190421_212204.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190421_212327.jpg
    20190421_212327.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 18
Hmmm I dunno. That comb sure is sticking out alot for a pullet. Here's a pic of a cockerel and photo bombing pullet at about 6 weeks, from some I hatched out last year. You can tell the pullets comb is still quite tight to the head. (yes the cockerel had very pale legs, he was definitely not kept for breeding) So sorry about your bad hatching luck! Can I ask where you got your eggs?
0603180812b.jpg

gold feather farms is where I got the eggs . They look like good stock just bad luck if all are boys. Have two one day olds now maybe I'll be lucky on at least one of them. :fl

I tried wing sexing the trio and it was supposed to be 2 girls and 1 boy by the wings at day 1.5 lol I looked at these one-day olds when moving to the pen from the incubator and looks like one of each. We shall see. One of the Bresse breeders swears by wing sexing for this breed.

I tried wing sexing the trio and it was supposed to be 2 girls and 1 boy by the wings at day 1.5 lol I looked at these one-day olds when moving to the pen from the incubator and looks like one of each. We shall see. One of the Bresse breeders swears by wing sexing for this breed.
Maybe it depends on what line/strain you got... I dunno. But I'd say about 1 out of every 4 that I wing sexed as pullets always turned out to be boys.

Back
Top Bottom