Bresse Chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sweetshoplady, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes, I think he had mareks. You can eat him. All of your chickens have had mareks. They just did not show the symptoms. Even the ones that show symptoms usually recover if you make sure they are eating and drinking.

Just to be sure, keep him quarantined for two weeks. If all of them are ok, then it is not spreading through the flock and he can go back with the others.

2. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    He has been quarantined for several weeks now, and has turned into quite a large capon slip. No one else has had any symptoms whatsoever.

I kept him separate from the others so that I didn't have to deal with integration issues, especially since he was going to be processed soon.

I figured if he had Marek's he would not have been able to walk. So I guess they can be symptomatic, but in a milder form.

BTW....I processed and roasted a 4#12oz Bresse capon slip last week......very tasty.

3. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Symptoms vary with Mareks. Sometimes it hits their eyes and they turn blue and they go blind.

You can put him back but follow the integration rules--at night and watch to make sure they do not kill him.

Thanks for the Capon update! Bresse are very tasty.

4. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I think I am just going to process him the next time I get out my knives. If I integrated him, it would be with other capons....which I figure would be less of an issue.

5. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    That is a good plan!

6. sarahannecloud9

sarahannecloud9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    Pleasant Hill, Tn
    My Coop
    Thanks for the help. But, we just tested neg for a rainbow of labs due to another problem. Mareks was one of the things tested for. This happened about 1.5-2 weeks ago. I do wonder if she could have hit her head or another like accident? If it's not a common issue with Breese, it must have been some sort of accident? I would have thought the same as you if we had not just had the vet out twice, a necropsy on a hen, swabbed throats, and all these labs. It's been a crazy month! Talk about eating up all the savings! Then my husband swallowed a yellow jacket with no insurance. Not to mention treating the LGD we have, lol. Lord help me! ;)

So what do you think, accident?

7. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Since the tests were negative, it likely was an accident.

[​IMG]

I hope things are better for you next year.

8. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I was describing how the disease works--initial infection and then the expression of cancer at about 2 years old.

Yesterday I had a bunch of post removed by the Moderators on a thread so I am worried about off topic posts.

There are a bunch of threads in the correct section on BYC regarding Mareks.

My Bresse are so funny. They fly up on the coop to sleep! The Pullets can be a bit bossy with new comers sometimes too.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by