Bresse Chickens

Pics
I'd personally err on the side of caution. Anything claiming to be Bresse or from Greenfire stock that you CANNOT actually verify for yourself, assume it's not legit. It very well might be, but as likely as not, it isn't. This chicken is growing in popularity and there has already been a blue-footed "knockoff" around for ages. It's my understanding the immitation is still a pretty good chicken, but it's not Bresse. Order a few from Greenfire Farms and breed your own if the cost of chicks is a bit of an issue, or order from breeders with good reputations and plenty of trustworthy people to vouch for them. At $10+ per chick, I can definitely see people taking advantage and pushing any blue footed chicken onto buyers as American Bresse.

I'd personally err on the side of caution. Anything claiming to be Bresse or from Greenfire stock that you CANNOT actually verify for yourself, assume it's not legit. It very well might be, but as likely as not, it isn't. This chicken is growing in popularity and there has already been a blue-footed "knockoff" around for ages. It's my understanding the imitation is still a pretty good chicken, but it's not Bresse. Order a few from Greenfire Farms and breed your own if the cost of chicks is a bit of an issue, or order from breeders with good reputations and plenty of trustworthy people to vouch for them. At $10+ per chick, I can definitely see people taking advantage and pushing any blue footed chicken onto buyers as American Bresse.
The imitation is called the California blue foot or blue footed chicken. The people I have seen breeding it do not call it bresse. A Lot of people want them specifically not the bresse and they have been selling them for years, so I doubt you are going to get people mixing them up. The reason you are seeing the explosion of birds available is people who bought the original gff chicks are now selling starter birds. Should expect to see this 6-9 months after the first shipments go out, same with Cream Legbar, Sweedish flower hens, etc...etc...etc...

I just won a quad of white american bresse on rare breed auctions, they are between 6-8 weeks, they are suppose to be from GFF stock (parents).Now I am worried they are the California blues.I just hope the person from where I got them was telling the truth and I really have american bresse.
I have the chicks with me now my idea was to get this ones and get some from Skyline poultry (not GFF stock and mix them so will get a bit of diversity in blood.)
How will I be able to tell if they are the real thing? only if I taste one?

I am planning to do a journal on the babies so I can see how much food they need and how much weight they put, and when will their legs turn blue and combs really red. I have a trio of rocks that are just 2 weeks older than them and want to raise them together and see differences on them. (kind of the real thing and the heritage breed for meat)

I just won a quad of white american bresse on rare breed auctions, they are between 6-8 weeks, they are suppose to be from GFF stock (parents).Now I am worried they are the California blues.I just hope the person from where I got them was telling the truth and I really have american bresse.
I have the chicks with me now my idea was to get this ones and get some from Skyline poultry (not GFF stock and mix them so will get a bit of diversity in blood.)

I am planning to do a journal on the babies so I can see how much food they need and how much weight they put, and when will their legs turn blue and combs really red. I have a trio of rocks that are just 2 weeks older than them and want to raise them together and see differences on them. (kind of the real thing and the heritage breed for meat)
If you won the quad from Jon, he is a good guy, and you indeed got Bresse.

I am planning to do a journal on the babies so I can see how much food they need  and how much weight they put, and when will their legs turn blue and combs really red. I have a trio of rocks that are just 2 weeks older than them and want to raise them together and see differences on them. (kind of the real thing and the heritage breed for meat)

Last edited:
Yes they are from Jon.
I am very happy with my chicks.Must tell you they are a bit aggressive (bullies) with the rocks. They share the same coop.

Rare breed auction is very good about their you can accully see where and when bought his stock from greenfire. Ibid on those same birds you won congradulations you got a really good deal. I bought some bresse chicks from john supposed to mail them today really nice guy any who wants some can trust his stock he sells on rare breed auctions.

Back
Top Bottom