Bresse Chickens

Pics
I have a couple questions for those in the know. How fast do Bresses mature and gain weight compared to other heritage meat breeds like Delawares and Rocks? What is their average slaughter age and weight? Thanks.

I live in Maryland and will be offering both hatching eggs and chicks in the Spring. I sell Bresse (white) chicks for $10 each. I beleive there is also someone on Craigslist that sells them for $8 but I don't know them so I cannot vouch for their chicks. You might be able to find someone closer to Vermont. If not, I could probably even send them to you via Amtrak.

How far are you from Tacoma Park?

I think I talked to you in a post a couple of weeks ago........
I have a place in D.C. and one in Maryland (depending upon where I am working). I keep all my chickens in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. I think Tacoma Park is like 40 minutes, depending upon traffic.

I have a couple questions for those in the know. How fast do Bresses mature and gain weight compared to other heritage meat breeds like Delawares and Rocks? What is their average slaughter age and weight? Thanks.

Bresse are the quickest developing meat bird in our experience, outside of the cornish-x. As a heritage bird, they reach a "finished" weight at about 18-20 weeks. That is, about 3.5 lbs for the pullets and 5 lbs for the cockerels. When talking to restauranteurs, their desired weight for birds is about 3.25-3.5 pounds. They are definitely quicker to mature that Delawares and Rocks, even starting their lay cycle as early as 20 weeks.
Weights:
At 10 weeks, our cockerels avg. 1625g, and the pullets 1250g
At about 15.5 weeks, our cockerels avg. 2.5kg, and pullets 1.7kg

Certainly a lot will depend on feeding and rearing methods. We get ours onto pasture grass as soon as possible. If they're being cared for by our broody silkies (like now with lows in the high 20's), that can be about day 2, otherwise its about week 2-3. We put them up at night in tractors and let them roam in the day. At about week 17, we keep them in the tractors all day for fattening up, but they still have access to pasture. We supplement with soy-free, organic feed mixed with milk (sometimes organic raw, cows milk; other times pasteurized goat's milk) throughout the first 12+ weeks. We then move to a pellet form, also mixed with milk.

Hope this in helpful…. you can read more about them on our website or send us an email with more questions.
Best,
Brice @ SF

I have read they free-range till finishing time. I found the info on GFF's site.

Has anyone done fodder? We're working on replacing most of our access to pellets with fresh wheat fodder. Last year we did some as treats but have slowly started adding in more. We also do more fermented now. Anyone feed fermented feed? Our birds free-range all day and get locked up at night. That is with the exception of 2 special coops. I do offer fresh cut daily greens and grass though. It also keeps them busy. I find our meat almost tastes like it was injected with chicken flavor bouillon, lol. The eggs are particularly outstanding. I only have 2 families we supply eggs to. Both now refuse to purchase elsewhere. The one woman's children told her ours don't taste like cardboard, ha! I thought it was too cute. My point of babbling on here is that what they eat has so much to do with taste, IMHO. I can say for certain, my birds sure love'em some snake! We used to have a copperhead issue. Lo-longer! Now that they have full access to all of the property we will occasionally see one, but it's dangling out of ones mouth with the whole flock in hot pursuit. These little dino's love their meat!

I did fodder all last winter...as a supplement...they all loved it..I just ordered my wheat seeds to start again!

Back
Top Bottom