Bresse Chickens

Pics
No;( I had a roo and 4 girls...he just died;( out of nowhere just big oversized handsome boy...fd one morning under his roosting poll...

No;( I had a roo and 4 girls...he just died;( out of nowhere just big oversized handsome boy...fd one morning under his roosting poll...
I'm sorry to hear that. Having a spare is good as far as insurance goes, but it can be a real pain to deal with unless the two get along.

As far as keeping extra roos: my Blue Copper cockerel is the best. I had him seperated from his hatch mate for months ( a lavender ameracauna). put them together and everything was fine. The marans is the boss, but only chased the AM if he crowed or tried to mate, lol! But they slept next to each other and stood close to each other in their pen. My Marans wouldn’t let the AM harass his hens when the two coops were together. He doesn’t look for a fight, but he shows that he’s boss.That’s the first I’ve had of a rooster being so easy going with everyone. They were all hatched in April. On my hatch I have 1 splash marans. If it’s a cockerel, I will probably try to keep him in the same pen with the marans flock as an extra. Even if his dad is in there. I’ll see if it works out.

Last edited:
As far as keeping extra roos: my Blue Copper cockerel is the best. I had him seperated from his hatch mate for months ( a lavender ameracauna). put them together and everything was fine. The marans is the boss, but only chased the AM if he crowed or tried to mate, lol! But they slept next to each other and stood close to each other in their pen. My Marans wouldn’t let the AM harass his hens when the two coops were together. He doesn’t look for a fight, but he shows that he’s boss.That’s the first I’ve had of a rooster being so easy going with everyone. They were all hatched in April. On my hatch I have 1 splash marans. If it’s a cockerel, I will probably try to keep him in the same pen with the marans flock as an extra. Even if his dad is in there. I’ll see if it works out.
My Lavender Orpington is my oldest roo, and have a Black Copper one as well....plus two Bresse. The Lav and BC are together and the Lav is the more docile of the two. The Bresse are together as well, and seem to get along well with each other. I just bought 3 splash Marans roos just starting to crow, along with a Splash hen and two birchen Marans pullets.. They are all out of a Blue Birchen rooster and hen, so I am wondering if there is a difference between splashes, black vs blue and copper vs birchen......do you know anybody who would know? To OP.....sry for the OT.

My Lavender Orpington is my oldest roo, and have a Black Copper one as well....plus two Bresse. The Lav and BC are together and the Lav is the more docile of the two. The Bresse are together as well, and seem to get along well with each other. I just bought 3 splash Marans roos just starting to crow, along with a Splash hen and two birchen Marans pullets.. They are all out of a Blue Birchen rooster and hen, so I am wondering if there is a difference between splashes, black vs blue and copper vs birchen......do you know anybody who would know? To OP.....sry for the OT.
I’m not familiar with the Blue Birchen breedings. I know the Blue Coppers and Splash Breedings you will get those 2 colors and Black Copper as well. Sorry not more of a help :)

I’m not familiar with the Blue Birchen breedings. I know the Blue Coppers and Splash Breedings you will get those 2 colors and Black Copper as well. Sorry not more of a help :)
I don't know anything either......LOL. I am just wanting a good meat bird, so am going with Bresse and Marans.....and maybe try a cross of the two just for kicks. The coloring thing is more of a curiosity than anything.

So after reading this thread in entirety, I have a few questions/thoughts:

1. Has anyone used fermented feed with Bresse? I'd love to know if their flavor is changed at all if using fermented feed.

2. This blog has some fantastic posts by a gal who's raising broilers on milk and sprouts. I bet it would work great for Bresse!
http://www.tosingwithgoats.com/2012/09/the-basic-broiler-challenge.html

3. Regarding egg color; since black Bresse lay large white eggs and the white Bresse's white coloring is dominant, could one cross the two colors to work on a white bird that lays larger and/or lighter eggs?

I wish there was a way to introduce the blue egg gene into this breed without loosing the deliciousness gene. I dream of a well mannered, blue egg-laying, duel purpose bird! ;)

Elly
My anecdotal reports from people who have eaten the black breese in the us is that it dosnt taste the same. And there eggs are not bigger .

Green fire did have blue breese on the website. But I'm feeling from talking to people that it's more then the colors that are different in these varieties.

I have not done a comparison tasting however. This is from comparing notes with friends with blacks.

We feed fermented in the warmer months. I have not noticed a difference in my other chickens in taste over crumbles or ff. But ours run around a lot and forage.

Hi All,
We currently have black, white and blue Bresse on our farm. According to GF, these were all imported from multiple lines. Our White Bresse are from multiple generations of GF birds, our Black are both first and second generations, and our Blue are obviously first. Our longest experience has been with the White, so it will be very interesting to see how the other two varieties perform. We will keep everyone updated here or via our website.
Best,
Brice @ SF

Back
Top Bottom