Bresse Chickens

Pics
I has occcured to me suddenly that I ca't remember if bresse are winter layers or not . . . I"m curious what has been the experience of those with laying age hens/pullets during the fall of 2013?

My breese were laying great till late November ok in December and took a fright in January and stopped. This is there pullet year however so who knows about next year. They got no lights or extra protien .

I have 5 pullets that started laying in the fall, and have continued to lay. For the past 3 weeks or so, I have been getting 4 eggs from them. Yesterday I got 5. We had -13 lows last week, and they continued to lay. I think I got 3 eggs one day last week, if I remember correctly. They have no supplemental light or heat....I did give them some extra protein on those cold days, though.......scrambled some old eggs in the fridge and fed to them a couple of days

Edit--another 5 day egg day out of the 5 girls. I hope they are still doing this when I am ready to set eggs in the incubator.

Last edited:
How long is your shortest day??  Seems like daylight hrs vary by location.

N california. We had our latest morning on the 6th.

But on new years a raccoon got one of the girls and they are still freaked out. We were away and one of the girls stayed by the edge of the run rather tge go in the coop. Had to do it while I was away...

N california. We had our latest morning on the 6th.

But on new years a raccoon got one of the girls and they are still freaked out. We were away and one of the girls stayed by the edge of the run rather tge go in the coop. Had to do it while I was away...
Oh, goodness. I know my Marans stop laying when they are stressed.....too hot, too cold....we haven't had any predators other than the occasional hawk that flies over that my dogs run off, so I wouldn't know about that stressor.

Oh, goodness.  I know my Marans stop laying when they are stressed.....too hot, too cold....we haven't had any predators other than the occasional hawk that flies over that my dogs run off, so I wouldn't know about that stressor.

We have every preditors in the state. Foxes racoon bobcats possums hawks and owls. We are one block outside of San Jose too!

The breese have a very secure set up but the preditors was desperate we were not home to make sure they were all in the coop and it actually unraveled some of the dog run chain link to get her. I was shocked it could do that. We cable tied all the bottom links to the pole now since that was crazy.

Back
Top Bottom