Bresse Chickens

Pics
Processed 7 Bresse roos this past weekend. With the cold, it's been longer than I would have preferred. They were 27 weeks.

That being said, I was very impressed. I processed a couple roos of some dual purpose breeds along with them that were just a little younger and the difference was noticable. The bresse had a better breast and better overall carcass. I haven't weighed them yet, but I will be taking them out of the refrigerator tonight to bag up and freeze. I'll get some weights then.

The people helping me process were all very impressed with them also and want me to supply them with some chicks for them to grow out also!

However, In the future I will process them earlier, as I believe they have been just maintaining weight for the last several weeks and just eating up feed.

Processed 7 Bresse roos this past weekend. With the cold, it's been longer than I would have preferred. They were 27 weeks.

That being said, I was very impressed. I processed a couple roos of some dual purpose breeds along with them that were just a little younger and the difference was noticable. The bresse had a better breast and better overall carcass. I haven't weighed them yet, but I will be taking them out of the refrigerator tonight to bag up and freeze. I'll get some weights then.

The people helping me process were all very impressed with them also and want me to supply them with some chicks for them to grow out also!

However, In the future I will process them earlier, as I believe they have been just maintaining weight for the last several weeks and just eating up feed.
Yes, they will not grow much after 24 weeks old.

They also lay a lot of eggs so you will not have trouble supplying chicks.

I got them packaged yesterday. They were all from 4.6-4.9 lbs dressed.

In the photo below I have two Bresse with a Brahma mix in the middle. Quite a difference in the body shape. Much broader breast and more compact shape. A lot more meaty too.

I got them packaged yesterday. They were all from 4.6-4.9 lbs dressed.

In the photo below I have two Bresse with a Brahma mix in the middle. Quite a difference in the body shape. Much broader breast and more compact shape. A lot more meaty too.

They look delicious!

Let us know how they cook up and how you cook them.

Back
Top Bottom