Bresse Chickens

Pics
I have a Great Pyr that actually barks and chases the hawks when they come. He walks among the birds, and even lays under bushes with them in the heat of the day. What do you think will happen if for some reason he ended up in the field with the Bresse? Will the rooster treat him as a potential predator??

Someone told me that Dark Cornish roosters are very protective as well.

Do you think your growly hen would actually brood chicks? I have heard that they aren't a broody breed.
Not sure about the dog. My Springer Spaniel is afraid of birds.

That hen is broody. But apparently has a short attention span as she gives up after a day or so. But then she returns a few days later and tries to brood again. My sister is using a Bresse hen as a broody right now for the Easter Hatch-a-long. So they definitely can be broody.

Not sure about the dog. My Springer Spaniel is afraid of birds.

That hen is broody. But apparently has a short attention span as she gives up after a day or so. But then she returns a few days later and tries to brood again. My sister is using a Bresse hen as a broody right now for the Easter Hatch-a-long. So they definitely can be broody.
So you have a broody hen with ADD?
gig.gif

If I have one to go broody, I will definitely let her brood!

Do any us with Bresse sell them at Farmers Markets as processed chicken?

If so, what do you sell them for?

Thanks!

Ron

Do any us with Bresse sell them at Farmers Markets as processed chicken?

If so, what do you sell them for?

Thanks!

Ron

That is exactly what I'm hoping to do when we have a decent flock raised up. I'd also love to know what people are selling them for and if they're leaving on the heads and feet as per the French custom.

Last edited:
No, a full capon will not crow. If they are slips, the testicle regenerates and what you think is a capon will start getting combs and wattle, and ultimately crow. The solution to that is to butcher them when they show signs of red combs and wattles.

I have full capons right now that are 10 months old and have never crowed. One of them is a Bresse.

Has there been a general consensus yet about what traits we're breeding for? Last I looked there was no SOP for American Bresse. I'm assuming healthiest, largest, fastest growing, favorite personalities, and bluest legs are what people are choosing?

Has there been a general consensus yet about what traits we're breeding for? Last I looked there was no SOP for American Bresse. I'm assuming healthiest, largest, fastest growing, favorite personalities, and bluest legs are what people are choosing?

Add in maintaining great egg laying the hens.

It all depends on how you personally keep and feed them. When i bred them i fed them on good quality chick crumb until they were five weeks and then Growers pellets ad lib ... they would also be on good clean grass, free ranging. Usually they would come into lay at 14 to 16 weeks of age from a springtime hatch.

Back
Top Bottom