Bresse Chickens

Quote: If they are a mix I will be a little furious but mistakes happen...I have sent a PM to one of the sellers to ask about the coloration of their chicks.

The legs get blue gradually they are not blue at birth. Give them a couple of weeks.
What about their combs? I swear 3 of the 5 have something other than a straight comb. Are males combs wider at birth? And what of the severe buff coloration? I just double checked and it runs from shoulder to shoulder across the breast...

Last edited:
Here's a few pics of the red/buff coloring and the different combs

Not a straight comb I'm guessing

Proper comb on another baby whos legs have a slight grey tinge

Another that doesn't look like the norm...

There's a 3rd with that wonky comb... I am more than willing to give them a few more weeks to see what they develop into but it doesn't look too promising. Of course I've never had this breed before either so I'm sure there's a learning curve as to their quirks...

Here's a few pics of the red/buff coloring and the different combs Not a straight comb I'm guessing Proper comb on another baby whos legs have a slight grey tinge Another that doesn't look like the norm... There's a 3rd with that wonky comb... I am more than willing to give them a few more weeks to see what they develop into but it doesn't look too promising. Of course I've never had this breed before either so I'm sure there's a learning curve as to their quirks...
Hope someone can help.

Wow, that buff colored chick will never turn white.......
And the combs in the 3rd & 2nd picture will not turn into a single comb.......

If these were chicks from eggs I bought I would be contacting the breeder for an explanation. Remember, it is possibly an accident. Give the breeder a chance to make it right.

Wow, that buff colored chick will never turn white.......
And the combs in the 3rd & 2nd picture will not turn into a single comb.......

If these were chicks from eggs I bought I would be contacting the breeder for an explanation. Remember, it is possibly an accident. Give the breeder a chance to make it right.
I have sent a PM and am waiting for a reply. I also sent pics so they could see what I was talking about. Wondering if somebody snuck into their breeder pen when they weren't looking or perhaps just a mix up with eggs.

Here's a few pics of the red/buff coloring and the different combs

Not a straight comb I'm guessing

Proper comb on another baby whos legs have a slight grey tinge

Another that doesn't look like the norm...

There's a 3rd with that wonky comb... I am more than willing to give them a few more weeks to see what they develop into but it doesn't look too promising. Of course I've never had this breed before either so I'm sure there's a learning curve as to their quirks...
Ya, I'm guessing wrong eggs snuck in. It happens to anyone who has a significant other or child collect eggs on occation. I guess I don't need to post pics of my juvies to compare, lol.

I have also seen two shades of blue legs in the lines that Greenfire imported. There is a pale blue and a dark blue shade on the legs. I have not yet recorded which color comes in first but there does appear to be a delay in the time the two different shades turn to blue when they are young.

The down can also vary from dark yellow to white. But all of them should feather out to a clean Dominant white.

I get a lot of requests from customers to have both the pale blue legs and the dark blue legs. People seem to think that having the two different shades will add diversity while they build out a flock. I don't know if that is true or not but the customer is always right. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom