Bresse Chickens

Learning to caponise is a messy dangerous process. You will kill some chicks. My dh practiced on a deceses boy and decided he was not comfortable trying it on live birds.

I would recommend try on the large rooster after to butch him just to get use to. I like to give a try some day. The price for the tools isn't cheap if you only try and decide not to do anymore.

I would recommend try on the large rooster after to butch him just to get use to.  I like to give a try some day.  The price for the tools isn't cheap if you only try and decide not to do anymore.

The tools we got were sized so it had to be a certain age. Dont know if all are.

My 12 Bresse chicks came home from school today. They are 3 weeks old today. We set 15 eggs May 3rd. One failed to develop, one developed but failed to hatch. And one hatched and failed to thrive. The rest are strong and healthy and so so friendly. They came home to hatch over Memorial Day weekend and then went back to school for the last three weeks.

This is my first time with Bresse - any advice? I bought caponizing tools. Do I dare? Is it really advantageous? Do you butcher before the boys begin to crow anyway? What do you advise?

It's all a learning process. What kind of tools did you buy? I bought the Chinese kind and they are supposed to be the best. Go to Page 109 on Graphic Pics of my day of learning to caponize. Kassaundra has a fabulous thread. The last time they did a workshop (which I missed) they took great pics and that's where they are. Buy a few roosters for cheap and raise to 6 wks or so. That's the time to learn. Yes, you will have deaths on the first few. But it's a learning experience. I don't have any roosters big enough to try it on but am planning to try it. No I don't have anyone to mentor me close at hand. That's why you practice. Go to google/books and download a bunch of books on poultry. Several on caponizing. Written back in the day when they did it by the hundreds. Good luck.
highfive.gif

It's all a learning process.  What kind of tools did you buy?   I bought the Chinese kind and they are supposed to be the best.  Go to Page 109 on Graphic Pics of my day of learning to caponize.  Kassaundra  has a fabulous thread.    The last time they did a workshop (which I missed)  they took great pics and that's where they are.  Buy a few roosters for cheap and raise to 6 wks or so.  That's the time to learn.    Yes, you will have deaths on the first few.  But it's a learning experience.  I don't have any roosters big enough to try it on but am planning to try it.  No I don't have anyone to mentor me close at hand.  That's why you practice.    Go to google/books and download a bunch of books on poultry.  Several on caponizing.   Written back in the day when they did it by the hundreds.  Good luck.  :highfive:

I've read through the caponizing thread and bought the Chinese tools in two sizes. I plan to practice before trying it on the Bresse. I practiced on a fryer I bought at the grocery - good thing, as I went in from the front instead of the back - the teste was clear across the body cavity, which was a clue that I wasn't doing it correctly. first lesson learned and no live chicken harmed.

I've read through the caponizing thread and bought the Chinese tools in two sizes. I plan to practice before trying it on the Bresse. I practiced on a fryer I bought at the grocery - good thing, as I went in from the front instead of the back - the teste was clear across the body cavity, which was a clue that I wasn't doing it correctly. first lesson learned and no live chicken harmed.

Do you have any way to get and process some roosters? Practice on them before you pluck. I have all this great advice. (But I haven't done it yet)
lau.gif
I only have one gimpy little rooster that I have to cull. That will be my practice.

I don't have the cabinet bator any longer. Way too dangerous : ) I sold it to Chiqita. I am now down to three hova bators for a grand total capacity of 128 which is bad enough.

I know what you mean. I down size myself and only have 1 Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco right now. The last hatched 20 days ago 21 out of 24 Cream Legbar chicks.

I think I have about 80 chicks in my brooder right now - and have the last stage hatching in my dicky as we speak. All depends on your point of view - but I am liking my dickey...

That said - grew up the son of a rancher. Grandfather always either raised or caught all of his protean. We raised most of ours (but did buy a Chicken a week for Sunday lunch - we did not raise chickens. I have 7 in my household (including 2 adults and 2 athletic teens) - I am thinking we can eat 100 chickens a year without too much problems. A while back, I would cook 2 chickens per meal - that is just one meal a week of chicken...

I think I have about 80 chicks in my brooder right now - and have the last stage hatching in my dicky as we speak. All depends on your point of view - but I am liking my dickey...

That said - grew up the son of a rancher. Grandfather always either raised or caught all of his protean. We raised most of ours (but did buy a Chicken a week for Sunday lunch - we did not raise chickens. I have 7 in my household (including 2 adults and 2 athletic teens) - I am thinking we can eat 100 chickens a year without too much problems. A while back, I would cook 2 chickens per meal - that is just one meal a week of chicken...

jcinadr,

Which Dickey incubator do you have? I got the 2x2, and love it. We've been averaging between 90-95% on our hatches with our own eggs since we got it.

Back
Top Bottom