Bresse Chickens

How old are they? I've only kept them to about a year old - if they go broody at 2 years+ I would be thrilled!
Mine started going broody as soon as they started laying. The same is true in my sister's flock. They turn out to be very nice broody hens because of their size. My smaller broody hens like my Hedemora can't fit that many eggs under them.

I just had two more Maran hens go broody this week. So egg production is grinding to a halt. It's like there is a strike in the egg factory.

Thats what I am feeding my bresse when its finishing time, goats milk. I have an endless supply from a friend...Ill have to pay for it but not much...

Lucky!!
I do indulge in good milk. Our sav mart has a local organic .
He was the wider of the 2 but shorter.  He was showing lots of raging hormone behavior so maybe that was what most of the food he ate was fueling.  The younger one would probably have filled out more if he had another 4 weeks to grow.  I had 3 cockerels and opted to keep only 1.  It was a hard decision to make.  The one I ended up keeping is younger and as tall as the tall one that we processed.  He is milder in temperament which is a big reason why I kept him over the oldest cockerel.  I almost kept both of them but just watching the behavior of the 24 week old changed my mind.  I have been trying to only keep mild mannered ones.  My original cock was nasty and 1 of his sons was even nastier.  With all things being equal, nice cockerels win over mean ones.  I still have 2 or 3 young ones here in town.  I keep going back and forth on whether to breed them again or sell all of them.  The farmers who own the property where my breeding flocks are housed do not like the Bresse.  They are flighty and excel at escaping their pens the boys have not been the friendliest birds, and my friends don't like how they taste.  We each took 1 of the processed cockerels and I made sure they got the youngest boy.  I am hoping that he is more tender than the ones we processed last time.  I love the chicks and the pullets/hens.  If I end up with a respectful cockerel, I really want to keep breeding them.   

I still have yet to have any issues with clovis or his sons. 2 are going to shepard outside flocks in so cal I'll see if I get more reports back.

How old are they? I've only kept them to about a year old - if they go broody at 2 years+ I would be thrilled!

Imo if they are not broody the first year its not likely the second.

Should my black bresse have this white on his chest? Will it go away? Should I not use him for breeding?

Working on my tractor for my bresse trio. Still have a ways to go but I don't think it's too shabby for my first try. Next time though I'm def going to need the proper tools and not "eyeball" so much. lol Still I think they'll fit comfortably. If there's room I might add my leghorn pullet as an experiment. Any critique is welcome.

I'm thinking a nice shade of green for the paint so it will blend with the yard a little better...

WOW!! THis is well done!!!! Keep those metal parts greased-- I learned that exposure to rain and weather will cause rusting etc and interfere with the hinges and slide bolt ( especially the slide bolt). Such a nice job1 Please post another pic when painted!!!

Last edited:
Mine started going broody as soon as they started laying. The same is true in my sister's flock. They turn out to be very nice broody hens because of their size. My smaller broody hens like my Hedemora can't fit that many eggs under them.

I just had two more Maran hens go broody this week. So egg production is grinding to a halt. It's like there is a strike in the egg factory.
my bresse have been quite broody.
2 hens to some extent. one in particular hatched chicks, great mom and is broody again.

Back
Top Bottom