Bresse Chickens

I hatched out some White Breese eggs a week ago, and I did get a chick that was a bit different in color than the others. This one was the oddball.

View attachment 1335345

White Bresse are just that...white. They carry the dominant white allele and cannot be any other color. If you're obtaining eggs from someone elses incubator understand you may be receiving eggs you did not order.

Noticed a few people saying about the other colours being thrown by their Bresse. I believe this is simply down to outcrossing of some sort. I'm in Ireland so have been lucky to get some blood lines from France.

I've seen them crossed by other with silkies, brown hybrid laying hens and they ALWAYS come out white, whilst the legs come out white if put with brown layers and some others.

Lines are scarce even here so interesting to see some of the ways the breed is developing in the US

Edit: This is refering to just the white strain, cant speak for the other but I assume they should also be dominant.

Agreed. The White Bresse carry the dominant white allele and can't be any other color.

I just moved to Cochise County AZ. Any ideas where I can get some Bresse stock locally? Just wondered if that was an option before going online to buy...

I have seen the Bressefarm.com($) and GF ($$$$$) options. Any other places that sell good stock?

I have greater confidence in my stock received from GF ($$$$$). Bressefarm.com is certainly cheap, but maybe not purebred Bresse...too many barred chicks produced. Both my Bresse and Blk Copper Marans are GF. World of difference!

Several Bresse breeders have told me these hens are not broody - on fact, they often don't sit on their eggs either, hence all the incubator activity with this breed. My Bresse are not at point of lay. But I have observed the pullets chest bump with the cockerels which is more cockerel behavior than pullet.

Ok, so I won't have to worry about them going broody and dieing, or be running them out of the nesting box when our temps start getting up to 118 F. this summer.

Ok, so I won't have to worry about them going broody and dieing, or be running them out of the nesting box when our temps start getting up to 118 F. this summer.
I have a couple hens that "threaten" to go broody, but only for a day... then they seem to change their mind... :p Really I thing they just get a hair up their butt to sleep in the nest, because I have no trouble getting the eggs out from under them...

I have a couple hens that "threaten" to go broody, but only for a day... then they seem to change their mind... :p Really I thing they just get a hair up their butt to sleep in the nest, because I have no trouble getting the eggs out from under them...

So, I probably won't have to fight with them over my eggs for my incubator, then. :gig

I would actually say there is a strong broody streak in them. This is my seventh year raising Bresse and I’ve had quite a few go broody. Currently 4 out of 25 of my hens are sitting on eggs, and another one that would like to be.

I let them free range and have had multiple experiences of a hen who emerges from nowhere with a little flock of chicks.

Have not had them give up unless I tried to move them.

I would actually say there is a strong broody streak in them. This is my seventh year raising Bresse and I’ve had quite a few go broody. Currently 4 out of 25 of my hens are sitting on eggs, and another one that would like to be.

I let them free range and have had multiple experiences of a hen who emerges from nowhere with a little flock of chicks.

Have not had them give up unless I tried to move them.
Maybe you just have the right environment for it and we don't, then... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom