Bresse Chickens

Pics
Well my assumption is the same. However I believe that we can experiment w/ this breed to see if it will make a better restaurant quality broiler. The Label Rouge chickens were originally imported for the same reason. Fact of the matter is that I don't think most sustainable farmers want to cage 500 birds and feed them dairy and corn for a month. The cost effectiveness of that is questionable particularly for American palates.
I know , next year i do over 2000 bird hope is worth. i grow my own corn to save some coast.

I have hatched out 10 bresse as well. Did you find a standard anywhere for them?

I wanted to tell my story of generosity turned to stupidity.
I was selling some eggs on Ebay. A woman buys eggs, asks me to hurry and send them, her son is terminally ill and she has had such back luck with the other sellers on ebay....oh and if I have extra, send them as well.
Wanting to be helpful, and thinking that time was essential, I offer to send chicks. I sent 8 chicks, and paid for the extra shipping, box and warmers. I told the woman if for some reason the chicks did not make it, I would send eggs.
The post office did not get the chick out in a timely manner and per this woman the chicks died. She tells me how disappointed she is, son is crying, she is crying, she is disappointed I only sent 8 chicks. I understand her disappointment
, I have some disappointment and losses of my own, thank you.
So here is where the story gets good, I start doing a little research, said buyer:

• Has won 3 auctions for Bresse eggs on Ebay, leaving negative feed back for each
  • Has been asking for contributions for her terminally ill son for over 8 years
  • Has a second profile on ebay and is pre-selling Bresse eggs
  • Has an ad on SC Craigslist selling Bresse chicks and pairs, etc.
Per our conversation through CL, she can not get it right whether her stock came from purchased eggs she hatched, or did she paid $399 each for her breeding stock.
I did send the replacement eggs, because I am a person of my word.
This is not about a sick child, this is about Cyber Panhandling, preying on people's sensitivity and just plain greed. I am putting this warning out there so if any of you that come across this woman, you have some facts.

Last edited:
That is a really messed up story! Thanks for the alert. There are plenty of unscrupulous folks on Ebay and elsewhere. The imagination they have is amazing. I don't have white Bresse eggs at this moment. They have not started laying for me. nevertheless I think I'll be very careful in future about selling or trading eggs. I think there is a way you can report this woman on Ebay and flag her posts on Craigslist if there is a serious cause to believe she is a con artist. That is what I would do. Make a formal complaint to Ebay who will investigate. Then Go on Craigslist and flag her posts once in a while. Fact is this will not stop her but will slow her down and inconvenience her. Unfortunately there is very little to do about these kind of internet con artist except to get a warning out there.

I've watched film and read plenty about the finishing process for these birds and made the decision not to finish them all in the french way. I do however plan to caponize the cockerels and finish 12-20 of the birds this year as close to the french style as possible. I'm currently looking for more pasture as the restaurants I'm in contact with want a consistent supply and I only have a couple acres of land at this time. I'm investigating other options including a structure of contract growers who have local pasture. However I'm only going to sell the birds in 200 mile radius as I'm a huge believer in local food. I also will be pasturing Basque hens next spring as an experiment and am talking to restaurants about this option also. I'm excited about the possibilities that these birds bring to the table. However, time is of the essence as I'm convinced that in the near future these chickens could be as popular as the Poulet Rouge Fermier breed imported by Ashley Farms here in NC that are now a staple in area restaurants.

I don't get it ... Why would you mess with something that has been near perfect for hundreds of years ? I would think a restaurant would be very upset finding out that you are not following the traditional way.

Process my first roo yesterday. I am guilty of processing before the traditional grain and milk month...it was convenient for me to tell myself, I would need a reference point. Meaning I just have way too many right now and needed to make room.
So a 4 month old dressed out at 4.7 lbs. Taste test to follow.
Cheers.

Again ..I just don't understand the mentallity of not following traditional growing methods .... That have been refined over century's .... But we Americans can do better huh ? I would say it is not just the breed that makes the eating experience ...But the way it is raised and finished ... From everything that I have read it is the fat of this bird that gives it it's exquisite flavor .... and that come from finishing them with the milk and grains.

It is the way the bird is raised and finished that demands the top $$ .... Why do we in the Country want to reduce everything down. Why spend the $$$ for these birds just to raise them like regular meat birds ...

Last edited:
Process my first roo yesterday. I am guilty of processing before the traditional grain and milk month...it was convenient for me to tell myself, I would need a reference point. Meaning I just have way too many right now and needed to make room.
So a 4 month old dressed out at 4.7 lbs. Taste test to follow.
Cheers.
Chicken I agree you need a point of reference. Besides even if it isn't a french style bresse, I'm sure it will taste better than CX's. I find that there is a different flavor for each breed. I"m sure if you finish them on milk and grain there will also be a difference (but what if there isn't). What if the milk and grain don't really do anything other than make an expensive tradition, now you will know because you have your test.
wink.png

Again ..I just don't understand the mentallity of not following traditional growing methods .... That have been refined over century's .... But we Americans can do better huh ? I would say it is not just the breed that makes the eating experience ...But the way it is raised and finished ... From everything that I have read it is the fat of this bird that gives it it's exquisite flavor .... and that come from finishing them with the milk and grains.

It is the way the bird is raised and finished that demands the top $$ .... Why do we in the Country want to reduce everything down. Why spend the $$$ for these birds just to raise them like regular meat birds ...

Stormy,
I think it's great to want to reproduce the french standard. I plan to finish a couple dozen or so in that manner as closely as I can as an experiment. I also plan to offer a few of these to local restaurants as samples. I think though that Americans simply don't have the experience with this kind of food except in metropolitan areas. I'm a small grower producer so I will try both the french process and also have a higher end pastured bird not finished in the french way. I live in North Carolina and while the Triangle has a fairly good restaurant and local food scene I'm afraid that a $75 bird will appeal to very few folks down here. If I am to make a living I have to cater to local tastes. Currently the Label Rouge birds from Ashley farms are doing well here. They go for $20 a serving in the local bistros. They have almost the same carcass size and weight as the Bresse. I plan to market my Bresse to this premium market. I also plan to try to educate some of the restaurateurs here with an end goal to offer the traditional finished Bresse. However I just don't think that there is a market for them locally at this time. I only sell locally within a 200 mile range. I don't and won't have access to the northeast cosmopolitan markets. Folks down here are just getting accustomed to pastured broilers and the Poulet Rouge de Piedmont offered by the aforementioned grower. The french have been accustomed to Poulet de Bresse for hundreds of years. Americans are so entrenched about $1.99 a lb supermarket birds that it's an uphill battle. I'd go broke if I offered traditionally finished Bresse at the price that American Restaurants would want to pay. A certain amount of education and acculturation has to take place before anyone goes full tilt into this market. Just my opinion!

--Drew

Back
Top Bottom