Bresse Crossed wit Cuckoo Lemon Orpington...........

Yes, they will reach out to you probably in a few days with a personal email. At least that’s what they did when I ordered from them last spring. I see they have many new breeds this year. They are good people!😊
I got email today from Paradise Poultry, they shipped my order, it should arrive tomorrow on Friday, hopefully everything goes smoothly.

I will try to post a picture of my 4 month old-fluffy Cuckoo Lemon Orpington hens. They haven't laid an egg yet, since they were introduced as chicks to the flock they were on the bottom of the pecking order. Now that I introduced younger Bresse males to the flock, they are the most vicious to the new young males. They peck them into submission. I not sure how things will turn out when the rooster hormones kick in next month.

Last edited:
I think its cheaper for Hawaii residents to order chicks from McMurray Hatchery, than Paradise Poultry, they have free shipping for minimum 15 chicks. However, I am not sure if we need a permit for importing live chicks to Hawaii?
I have ordered from McMurray, they get everything needed. You just have to give them about 3 weeks lead time, so you are not able to order anything last minute. Excellent customer service. 😊

Do not feed medicated starter to cocci vaccinated chicks. Apparently the combo makes chicks more susceptible to cocci.

Use Medicated Starter Feed for Chicks​

Unvaccinated chicks should be fed medicated starter feed that exposes them to low levels of at least one strain of coccidiosis. Do not use medicated starter feed if your chicks have been vaccinated for coccidiosis since the effects of the vaccine and medicated feed taken together cancel each other out, leaving chicks unprotected.

https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/coccidiosis-your-chickens-what-you-need-to-know/
Thank you for the link. Your statement is that the combo makes them more susceptible. Your reference does not say that. It says they cancel each other out, they don't say it makes it worse. That is two different things.

Freedom Ranger's comment is wrong anyway. Medicated feed does not contain any strain of Coccidiosis. Medicated feed contains medicine. In the US that medicine is almost always Amprolium but you can find some medicated feeds with different medicines. And while the medicine can cancel out the vaccine, the vaccine does not cancel out the effects of the medicine. The medicine still works.

The exaggeration is yours, there are enough myths and misinformation floating around on this forum, that's why I spoke up. The misinformation is on Freedom Rangers. I'll try to contact them and ask them to confirm that with a veterinarian.

Picked up chicks from post office, I think the ones with longer feathers are girls.......:wee

One of the male Bresse cockerels had a black dot on it when it was hatched and grew up with a little black bleeding through. The owner of the farm said,

"During my 2018 breeding season I have been working with new stock from Greenfire farms. I only breed white Bresse but interestingly I managed to get a trio of grey silver penciled out of them. This color is only currently raised in Europe but now I have them via dumb luck. Like I said I only have a trio but want to see if I should expand. So just for my information how much interest is there in this new color if made available? " https://www.facebook.com/Bresse-683644685089899/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

View attachment 2481219View attachment 2481221View attachment 2481222
You can’t feather sex those.

I found a stiff dead chick tonight. I saw a little blood by its ear, I wonder what happen. I heard it chirping or crying, but did not check up on him until a little latter. I felt like something was wrong, so I went outside to check my brooder and it was dead. I ordered them to be vaccinated and I am feeding medicated chick starter. Not sure what to make of it. The rest running around, and look healthy.

I found a stiff dead chick tonight. I saw a little blood by its ear, I wonder what happen. I heard it chirping or crying, but did not check up on him until a little latter. I felt like something was wrong, so I went outside to check my brooder and it was dead. I ordered them to be vaccinated and I am feeding medicated chick starter. Not sure what to make of it. The rest running around, and look healthy.
So sorry to hear this☹️
Maybe an unseen injury happened under shipping?

So sorry to hear this☹
Maybe an unseen injury happened under shipping?
I think it was the merek vaccine.........he probably couldn't build up a resistance. His legs were kind of stretched out and toes were curled. I am kind of sad because it was one of the bigger ones. The ones that hatch from bigger eggs seem a little bigger at maturity.

Based on my experience with Bresse hatching chicks, they are very scared of me, unlike the ones I hatched before. They are very fast and hyper. I will need to spend some time with them after the 4 day quarantine is up for the vaccine. I hope I can tame them. :wee

Mean while the two Cuckoo Lemon Orpington hens that I was planning on breeding with my two Bresse cockerel are keeping them from eating before them. All the hens beat up on them, I am afraid they will develop a complex?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom