Bresse Crossed wit Cuckoo Lemon Orpington...........

I think its cheaper for Hawaii residents to order chicks from McMurray Hatchery, than Paradise Poultry, they have free shipping for minimum 15 chicks. However, I am not sure if we need a permit for importing live chicks to Hawaii?

Last edited:
You can always contact McMurray and ask but I'd expect that will not be a problem. McMurray should have to provide whatever they need to ship. I really doubt that would be on you.
I think you are right, a NPIP certified farm on ebay that I ordered hatching eggs from, got a permit number from my state before they sent the eggs. I didn't have to do anything.

I think its cheaper for Hawaii residents to order chicks from McMurray Hatchery, than Paradise Poultry, they have free shipping for minimum 15 chicks. However, I am not sure if we need a permit for importing live chicks to Hawaii?
I have ordered from McMurray, they get everything needed. You just have to give them about 3 weeks lead time, so you are not able to order anything last minute. Excellent customer service. 😊

I have ordered from McMurray, they get everything needed. You just have to give them about 3 weeks lead time, so you are not able to order anything last minute. Excellent customer service. 😊
Okay thanks for the information. I want to get some Cornish Rock and a few White Plymouth rocks to breed. The Cornish rock I looking at take two weeks longer to mature than the Jumbo Cornish Rock. They say it will reach the same weight without leg issues. I can't believe they get up to 9 lbs in 3 months

I saw a 5 lbs. free range chicken selling for $26 at my local super market, but Costco sells them already cooked for $5. I think I make out only if I run with the Bresse and Barbeziuex. These two chickens has an unusual taste and can't be bought in stores.

I received my stimulus card in the mail today..........:ya

Last edited:
I just placed my order, they will send it out the week of April 5, 2021. I notice that they were running out of what I was planning to order, so I locked it in. Free shipping to Hawaii is amazing or is it to good to be true?

I just placed my order, they will send it out the week of April 5, 2021. I notice that they were running out of what I was planning to order, so I locked it in. Free shipping to Hawaii is amazing or is it to good to be true?
I paid for expedited shipping both times I ordered from them. I was worried about the chicks during the postal crisis. I do not think it made any difference. Still took 3 days to get here. I have friends who went the free shipping route and their birds took the same amount of time, so should be fine. Be ready with Nurtradrench and keep a real close eye on the littles when they arrive. They will need extra attention when they finally arrive. You have the plus of being on Oahu, should shorten the trip a little bit. All birds/eggs have to go through Honolulu and be cleared by the department of agriculture before going on to their final destination.

One of my Cuckoo Lemon Orpington pecked my feet and when I went to pet her she squated into a mating position. The other one wasn't ready to mate yet. One of the Bresse cockerels gave me the wing shuffle today. He started getting cocky, but the Cuckoo Lemon Orpingtons pop their bubble and chased them around. No mercy.........one day those hooligans are going to stage a coup de tat.

I threw one of my Lemon Orpington in with two Bresse males and the male went nuts. I had to take one out, the dominant male was constantly hitting the female with leg shuffles. It seems like they were getting even for how she treated them when they were chicks.

I need to monitor their behavior, they seem to be settling down with the female in submission, but every so often the male will shuffle kick and attack her.
DSCN0217.JPG

I put the second female Lemon Orpington in and she fought him and lost. I don't think he figured out how to balance on their backs yet. My other Bresse rooster with crooked toes seem better at it, but I will pair him with some Australorps to see if I can get the old Bresse pencil color line to reemerge and to see if I can fix the crooked toe issue.

DSCN0222.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom