Brewers yeast nutrition

PaisleyChickMama

Songster
Oct 1, 2022
Zearing Iowa
I was on the chewy website because I’m ordering food for my dogs as well as looking at duck supplies. I have come across two different options for brewers yeast. I’m new to raising ducks and I’m trying to save money where I can without compromising my ducks health or well being. The first option is https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-brewers-yeast-garlic/dp/256477 and the second option is https://www.chewy.com/naturvet-brewers-dried-yeast-garlic/dp/105736 .
The second one is actually made for dogs and cats but it’s significantly cheaper than the one made for chickens and ducks. I’m wondering if it will harm my ducks or if it will suffice. The goal is to give them niacin and other supplements in their diet for their growing stages. I attached the nutrition facts.

Attachments

• 8B0E6547-6693-4405-AC0B-C41EB05E69A8.png
    8B0E6547-6693-4405-AC0B-C41EB05E69A8.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DD5D2C1E-CDDA-4ECE-9F63-0BD6D7A1965F.png
    DD5D2C1E-CDDA-4ECE-9F63-0BD6D7A1965F.png
    311.5 KB · Views: 5
I was on the chewy website because I’m ordering food for my dogs as well as looking at duck supplies. I have come across two different options for brewers yeast. I’m new to raising ducks and I’m trying to save money where I can without compromising my ducks health or well being. The first option is https://www.chewy.com/fresh-eggs-daily-brewers-yeast-garlic/dp/256477 and the second option is https://www.chewy.com/naturvet-brewers-dried-yeast-garlic/dp/105736 .
The second one is actually made for dogs and cats but it’s significantly cheaper than the one made for chickens and ducks. I’m wondering if it will harm my ducks or if it will suffice. The goal is to give them niacin and other supplements in their diet for their growing stages. I attached the nutrition facts.
I started with brewer's yeast but it would have been very expensive to continue with it, so I switched to powdered niacin in their water. It's so much cheaper because it lasts a really long time. I use the 100 mg one for ducklings, and the 1g one for the large duck waterer. The downside is it wouldn't have the other vitamins, just niacin.

100 mg
1g

I started with brewer's yeast but it would have been very expensive to continue with it, so I switched to powdered niacin in their water. It's so much cheaper because it lasts a really long time. I use the 100 mg one for ducklings, and the 1g one for the large duck waterer. The downside is it wouldn't have the other vitamins, just niacin.

100 mg
1g
Do you have a good link for it? And do you just give them that with their food because if you have had good results that would be great, or do you give them other vitamins too?

Do you have a good link for it? And do you just give them that with their food because if you have had good results that would be great, or do you give them other vitamins too?
The links are at the bottom of my post, if you click on "100 mg" and "1g". I give them a splash of nutri-drench in their water for a day or two after they first hatch, and then I switch to just the niacin. I also keep b-complex on hand in case I see any signs of deficiency. Other than that, it's just their food.

100 mg
1g
I was just looking into brewer's yeast myself, thanks for the links to just niacin as well!

One of the brewer's yeast I found was also Nutricost. So is this okay to feed ducks then?

https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Brewers-Yeast-1LB-16oz/dp/B07S95VHM3/

Also, if I need it for leg strength problems, would straight niacin be better or brewer's yeast?

I was just looking into brewer's yeast myself, thanks for the links to just niacin as well!

One of the brewer's yeast I found was also Nutricost. So is this okay to feed ducks then?

https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Brewers-Yeast-1LB-16oz/dp/B07S95VHM3/

Also, if I need it for leg strength problems, would straight niacin be better or brewer's yeast?
If you are using brewer's yeast, I don't see why that one wouldn't be fine for ducks :) . According to Metzer, human grade brewer's yeast has about 5 mg of niacin per tablespoon. That likely wouldn't be enough if you actually see a deficiency. What has been recommended to me by experienced people on here and has worked well when I've had a duckling with a wobbly leg problem is Vitamin B Complex.

I was taught to never put anything into your ducks water as that is what they use to rinse their nares with. Was I taught wrong? I use Nutri drench in the water when they are babies and use it for several weeks but that is a baby waterer and no head dunking is taking place. I've not had leg issues.. I am attempting though, after all these years, to make my own poultry feed and was thinking of adding the brewers yeast to the mix. Have to find a way to get the cost of feed down!! I have 20+ domestic ducks. 20+ muscovy. 100+chickens. 12 geese. 8 Turkeys. 8 goats 4 cats. and now down to 1 dog.

Last edited:
I was taught to never put anything into your ducks water as that is what they use to rinse their nares with. Was I taught wrong? I use Nutri drench in the water when they are babies and use it for several weeks but that is a baby waterer and no head dunking is taking place. I've not had leg issues.. I am attempting though, after all these years, to make my own poultry feed and was thinking of adding the brewers yeast to the mix. Have to find a way to get the cost of feed down!! I have 20+ domestic ducks. 20+ muscovy. 100+chickens. 12 geese. 8 Turkeys. 8 goats 4 cats. and now down to 1 dog.
I've never heard of that, it may be right. I use waterers with cup attachments to put the niacin in and they are too shallow for dunking their head in. They have pools for that, and I don't put niacin in those.
That is a lot of feed, for sure! I just started making my own and while the cost is actually a bit more per week, I've gotten a lot more eggs since switching. Selling eggs and ducklings has been able to pay for feed and bedding costs. I hope you can find something that works for you!

I am curious as to what your recipe is for the feed....could you share that here!!!! I am still playing with a few different ones but with a mix flock it is hard to get it just right.

Back
Top Bottom