Bridge Collapsing

Quote:
My uncle worked for the Dept. of Transportation here in Pa. they did bridge inspections all along the Delaware River. Most of the bridges that cross from Pa into NJ are unsafe. My uncle died approx 10 years ago or more. And still nothing has been done to these bridges. If they were labled unsafe more then 10 years ago...what kinda condition are they in now? Kinda scarry.

A recent prior president ran on a platform promise (one of many) that he would see to it to repair and update the US infrastructure, which of course includes the bridges and national highways. Too bad this promise was forgotten too....
sad.png

I agree with Royicus: "...But the politicians will reply, "Oh we don't have enough funding, we need higher taxes." And the people don't like taxes (I mean, I don't), so then they do something that costs less, like inspections and sticking a finger into a leaking dam. So unfortunately, it does take an event like this to promote change. Unfortunately, sometimes it is we, the people, who need the changing. After all, many a politician have won elections with things like, "No new taxes."... "

My heart goes out to everyone touched my this tragedy...
hit.gif
hugs.gif

we have a bridge in Alex, La. that was built in the 30's or 40's. it is called the o k allen bridge. named after the governor that had it built way back when! they have a plan to replace it. but no 'funding' just yet. they inspect it like twice a year. it goes over the red river. i try to avoid that bridge, we have two more bridges to use. i don't know if this particular bridge is 'defeciant' like they say some are. i just know they always get transportation on the tv and he always assures us it is okay. they spend about two days going over the bridge when they inspect it. but i don't know how they can tell anything by a visual inspection!

I'm sure that you heard about that bridge's score. Out of a possible 100 it ranked in at a 55. Well, here in San Antonio we have a bridge known as "Old Highway 90" which ranks a 35!! Can you believe that after that collapse they were talking to an engineer on tv and he said that he believes there's no possibility of this bridge collapsing like the one in Minnesota?!?! How could that be? If a 55 can collapse, wouldn't you think it's more likely for a 35 to go down? I'm never on that side of town, so I don't drive on it, but hopefully other people saw this report and are aware not to drive on it. I sure would hate to turn on the tv one day to see history repeated when we had fair warning to change it.

What's so infuriating, along with all the inspectors with blinders on, is that tax money has been collected for this very purpose for more than 30 years, more than enough to repair/maintain such bridges.
The fact that its been 're-routed' to pay for who knows what (the guy's salary that said a 35 rate bridge will be OK after a 55 rated one collapsed?) its just revolting. Now that everyone has forgotten about the then new tax, they want to raise (gasoline?) taxes again!
Sorry, this just makes me so angry. We are all being fleeced (again) and I just can't stand it that the government fat cats and lobbyists continue to get away with murder...this time literally!

Quote:
I can believe he said that. Look at the qualifier: 'like the one in MN'. It's traditional political double-talk. It just means when the 35 bridge collapses it will do it in a different and more spectacular way than the 55 bridge did.

It just makes me sick to my stomach. Instead of keeping us all safe, politicians would rather tinker with their little "pet" projects. Hopefully the next time something collapses there's a good chunk of them on it!

Back
Top Bottom