~*~Bridled~*~ A Story of Passion - TechnoCat's Story

TechnoCat

Crowing
8 Years
Nov 20, 2011
Wherever Angel is~
This is based on my own personal story, with a few hidden tweaks. Bannon Woods, the horses, and the people are real. 'Becky' is based on a certain person who trains at Bannon Woods at well, but her name is changed for security purposes, and is the only named changed.

PROLOGUE
I was always born to be a rider. From third grade. I had a natural high posture, would push my heels down at a stop from running at recess. I had the strength to lift two people, the patience to wait a thousand years, but the dominance and the aggressiveness of an alpha. Strength was required for being able to handle the pain and intensity of forcing your heels down and against the horse. Patience for a headstrong horse, using it to tell a headstrong horse that 'I am the boss'. The dominance and aggressiveness to wrangle an angry gelding or mare who won't listen when you lead him or her, or to wrestle a stallion into a round pen who threatens to trample you. I'd tried basketball. I'd tried tennis and swimming. I was always born for equestrian, and it can teach you more than any sport with a ball can. But it wasn't awhile until I noticed that. I started riding in about 6th grade, at a farm called Bannon Woods. And it really wasn't nice - The trainer had no idea what she was doing. So I left. I returned my freshman year to find a new instructor who owned a personal Thoroughbred in the lineage of Secretariat. Jenna was her name. Some people have no idea how much this woman influenced my life. Jenna taught me responsibility, what it takes to be great, and the feeling of having to get back up and try again. Now I am entering my junior year, and I still work there. But let's back up a bit.

CHAPTER 1
Walking into the all-too familiar arena for my first lesson after spring break camp, I saw Jenna again. I gave her a hug and went to go get my favorite horse at the time. Starfire. This horse taught me so much, and I guess he still is, even though he is now retired. Starfire was an old Rocky Mountain Horse who still had spark in him. He was a gorgeous reddish color with powerful, massive hooves and a strong shoulder set. He sported a grey mane and darker grey tail, and it came out in rippling waves. His mane was kept short and his thick, unruly forelock hung over his dark, expressive eyes. I remember when Starfire and I went far, we really made something of ourselves. We cantered through jumping courses of 20 jumps in mere minutes at a quick-paced canter. Tail flagged, nostrils flared and ears forward, he was the picture of beauty. We were the unstoppable two. But he has been withered away by age and is unable to do what we once did. I still love him - and he still loves me. Nothing can really change that either. He'll always be my baby. And when I got on Starfire for my very first ride, I knew that this was what I was made for.​

Last edited:
Chapter 2

"Contestant number 12, Flyaway Angel and Skylar!"
This was the moment I'd really prepared for. All these years of training and fighting and tears. It's all for your name called, all for the silence and awe of the crowd. All eyes on you and the tension in the air as you clear the jump.

But I remember training for this moment. Finding the horse that loved me best.
I walked in for my first lesson, and I saw each lesson horse tied to the wall. They all turned to look at me.
"Old folklore says that if you walk in the middle of a bunch of horses, one will look at you and the rest turn away. The one that looked at you will be the one who will be loyal to you above all the others."

Looking along the wall, I saw horses of all colors and height. There was a massive dark grey horse with a short, inky black, choppy tail and forelock. He had dark eyes which were hard to see because of his dark coloring. Beside him was a light tan mare covered in fur. Beside the mare was a tall, dark yellow-colored gelding with a red tail and mane and white blaze down his face. His face was at the wall and he looked tired. Standing proudly aside the sleepy gelding was a very light colored pony with a blonde, white and red tail. Beside the pony was another short horse of a reddish color and a thick gray mane and wavy tail.
On the other side was a dark grey and white spotted mare with lively eyes and pricked ears. Another gelding stood aside the mare, of a palomino color with a white tail and beautiful mane. And lastly was a proud chestnut mare with a long mane and tail and a white blaze down her face. She had deep expressive eyes and nickered softly at me.
Walking right through the middle of them, most turned away except for three, who looked right at me - the spotted mare, the palomino gelding, and the chestnut mare.
"Lil Mitzi, Annekin, and Angel like you! That's awesome - they don't like many people!"
I was drawn to the chestnut mare, however. The mare was lively and beautiful and was looking at me with deep thoughtful eyes.
"You like Angel, is that who you're looking at?"
"Yeah... She's really pretty."
Jenna smiled. "Go ahead, go see her."
I slowly walked to the mare with a hand extended. The mare's nostrils flared and she sniffed my hand for a moment, then nickered again at me. I smiled and pet her gently, and she pressed her nose to my chest.
In that moment, it all begun.

thumbsup.gif

CHAPTER 3
*NOTE: The first few lines or so are quotes from my show experience. These were the comments of the announcers as I was showing.

"And she sticks the first jump with a perfect two point right in time with her horse with a jump-off time of 3.8 seconds!"
Angel's back rolled under me as her front hooves came off the ground. And there was awed silence. I raised up and forward, putting my heels down and against her side. Angel flagged her tail and lifted with her back hooves. And for a moment, we were flying.
Her hooves crashed against the ground again, a powerful rumble rippling through the ground. I could feel the vibration of Angel's power through the air.

I remember training with Angel for this moment. Bonding together through that sense of flying. That powerful rumble as she returns to the ground.

"Heels down, shorten your reins! Keep her cantering!" Jenna told me gently as we cantered around the arena. "Go over your cross-rail! Two point now!"
I used to think that was as close as I'd ever get to flying.
But it WAS flying.
We were unstoppable.
Suspended in the air for a brief moment, freedom.
She crashed against the ground again and Jenna cheered. "Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!!! At this rate, you'll be my top star shower! Keep that up!!!"
My partner whom I was training with, Payton, clapped as well. Angel flagged her tail and snorted, trotting happily and proudly.
"You're good for today, Sky. Very beautiful ride today! Very beautiful! Let her stretch and walk her out."
I loosened up my reins to the very buckle of them. She lowered her head and stretched her neck. I walked her around once, and then got off.
Untacking, I sprayed her down with the hose, so she wouldn't be put away hot, and ran her over with a sweat scrape. I stood with her on the pavement and let her dry a little so she wasn't dripping wet. Taking her back to her stall, she didn't try to track to her food as I took her halter off, much like Buttercup. Angel just stood there with her nose to my chest and waited for me. I took off the lead rope and halter and Angel merely stood there, her nose against my chest. I kissed her face and begun to walk out of her stall. In which, she tried to follow me.
I looked back at the mare and she walked right up to me. I pet her again, and she pressed her muzzle to my cheek, stood there for a moment, and then walked back to her food to eat for the night. I smiled, and closed her stall for the day.
I had a feeling as I walked away, she was watching me go.

CHAPTER 4
"A small falter in Angel's canter, but Sky keeps her working! Beautiful form as she keeps Angel cantering! Coming over her crossrails, she drives her heels down with a beautiful two point!"

Form is just as important as consistancy. I realized that when I fell off the first time.

"Give her a bit more canter, make her work! She's in heat, she doesn't wanna work! But you need to tell her who's the boss!" Jenna told me, and I gently tapped her side.
"Come around to E and go over your crossrails!"
I cut across the arena and lifted up into my two point.
"Heels down! Further!!!" Jenna told me, but my feet were aching and I didn't listen. As soon as Angel crashed against the ground again, my foot slipped and as she made the sharp turn, from F to B, I slipped off and the ground rushed up to meet me.
I didn't even realize what happened until my head begun to spin. I heard Angel stop, and I saw a blurred image of Payton - stopped and hands over her mouth.
And I heard hooves slowly tracking back to me.
I see reins brush the dirt and feel something soft and warm press against my cheek. A sudden breeze of hot air and a sigh was one of the first things I felt and heard.
I look over at Jenna, who's watching me, awestruck.
I realize it was Angel.
I stood up slowly, and Angel looked right at me - as if to ask me if I was okay.
"Yeah... I'm fine, baby." I told her.
And got right back on.
"That's amazing... I've never seen Angel do that before... She likes you, Sky... She really, really likes you."
I smiled at Jenna. "She did that yesterday when I put her away, too."
Jenna smiled back. "Alright, let's try again."

Back
Top Bottom