Brief History of the Broiler Industry

Well the problem is way more intense than just chickens.... I wouldn't know where to start because everything that touches oil would be unsustainable. That would include everything that I touch... or use daily.

If the oil stopped today, I could keep on chuggin with my chickens... I have cornish x rock cross stock here plus others... however I would be screwed as far as transportation... All I have is a GPyrenees and she doesn't run very fast with me on her back....

I would have to buy a horse from the amish in the southern part of the state... take the last of may gas and drive to get a horse... I don't know if I could do it? Here ELI I will trade you my nice red truck for your shinny brown mustang! Flat out trade.... you can even have the gas that's in the tank
wink.png
Hey throw in that buggy too while your at it.

I understand the whole sustainable concept but there has to be a mix of the two I think. Use less oil, by being more sustainable. I don't think by being 100% sustainable is all what it's cracked up to be. I like my freakin' coffee way too much... and my sugar... and my salt... and this darn computer too! My point is... you have to find that balance... and not everyone is the same... Buster, your one that is going above and beyond which is pretty cool. I don't think i could do it

The point, Jeff, is cutting where we can to make a system more sustainable. I like my (used) cars and computers and hot/cold running water as much as anyone else, but am slowly cutting where I can. My first priority is humane treatment of animals I use for food, sustainability of my own system (and thus contributing to the greater sustainability) a close second.

I have met a few sustainable farmers like you who feel the same way, that consumers have a choice and it is our job to convince them this sort of farming is the better one. But it won't always be that way. In the end, we can make our choices now, or have our choices wittled down until we have none. In either case, both end up in the same place. We can be sustainable now, or we will have to live sustainably later.

When I say the current economic and agricultural systems are unsustainable, I mean that sooner or later, they are going to collapse. When that happens, it is important that we have sound local economies and effective local food producers, like you and others, to pick up the slack.

Oh... Now I'm starting to catch on where your coming from.

Makes sense.... It will be hard for tyson to keep their prices low when fuel is at $6.00 / gallon. Then the choice is an easy one for consumers... especially if your system is sustainable... where you do not have those cost such as gas.

I'm catchin on.

Quote:
You just never know what the future will hold. I have friends who joke (sort of) about what they would do if TSHTF, and we ever do have the End of Civilization as We Know It. They always say they want me in the group, because I know how to do a lot of things. Like butcher a deer.

I tell them come to my house, there will be food! And then, I'd have help, with all the work to make more food!

Last edited:
you mean to tell me you someone in hart co ky that cant clean a deer? i thought that was a requirement to live in hart co, ky

Quote:
Amazingly enough, most people do know folks who live in other counties, and other states, and even other countries. Since I'm not from here, and even during the time I've lived here, I worked elsewhere, I have friends all over the place. I've lived in many places all over the country. I have friends all over the country.

Don't you know anybody that doesn't live in the same county as you? If not, you might consider getting out more.

And, I bet there are a few, even in Hart Co. KY, that can't clean a deer. I don't personally know them, but I have a neighbor who has chickens, who didn't know that hens don't hatch every egg they lay. I had to explain to her how that all works. She's lived here her entire life.

Very interesting. Those of us who have been working on sustainability for a long time, tend to know a lot but sometimes I wonder how much I would really know if it all collapsed tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my chickens wouldn't save me, as I would have no way to feed them all. Interesting the way the conversations has turned on this thread. I am glad I looked it over again because I wasn't real interested in how the broiler industry came about.

Back
Top Bottom