Brief History of the Broiler Industry

Cornish x rocks breed like any other chicken... they are just like any other mutt. Those cornish rocks will taste like the heritage type fowl if they are let to grow out until 16 weeks.

Chicken is chicken.... the flavor depends on the age and there is a very small difference in breeds.... some will not even notice a difference.

Only reason I can think to gripe about chicken sustainability is that they primarily eat grain instead of grass - thus land that could be used to grow human food directly is instead being used to grow food for the chickens (or human food is being fed to chickens - however you want to look at it). Then again so do pigs, so I'm still confused...

read the broiler page beore reading the rest of the post, it is way more informative that way, lol
One question! Whaaatttt?????

Still trying to understand why it is deplorable that we eat more chicken than beef or pork. I am trying to understand why a 4% death loss is depressing. Trying to understand why it is bad that we export to Russia.

I think it's interesting to see how that particular hybrid evolved..with that much record keeping and controlled breeding it deserves a breed page, amirite, CARS? lol I know, you already wrote it..lol good job BTW
smile.png

The system for developing and shipping the Cornish X is unsustainable because it is built on a finite resource, and one that is highly pollutant: fossil fuels. Any bird that requires this (and that includes the Freedom Ranger) is unsustainable.

The entire poultry industry, in fact, is unsustainable over the long term because you also have the issue with how many of the grains are grown. Not only do you have the centralization of production of those grains, thus requiring shipping over great distances, but they also eat oil in order to grow. In addition, the distribution model is unsustainable because you are shipping the product over long distances to make it available to the consumer.

But at least local producers who use the Cornish X are a step in the right direction. The birds they are raising will be sold in a local market as part of a local economy that is far more sustainable than the conventional economy. When the time comes, it will be a small step to move from the CX and FR to meat birds that can be raised locally, perhaps a new breed developed off the genetics of the CX by folks like Jeff and Al.

Quote:
The key, Jeff, is that once you do breed them, the resultant birds are no longer Cornish X, and when you create your own breed that does breed true generation after generation, with the resultant consistency, that will be far from a Cornish X. It will be something else entirely.

Quote:
I think it's interesting to see how that particular hybrid evolved..with that much record keeping and controlled breeding it deserves a breed page, amirite, CARS? lol I know, you already wrote it..lol good job BTW
smile.png

You do know I am surrounded by paint fumes all day, don't you??? amirite? That took 3 reads to get. Either your space bar is stuck off, or you're quite clever.

Quote:
Sustainable in my eyes is a bird that can replace itself. I can't grow everything to feed my family or even my birds. I bet 99% of BYCer's can't repair a car that has been in an accident. (I can
tongue.png
)

Your right if you are calling me a "local producer". I am trying to use the bird in the right direction. To feed my family in the healthiest way I can, as cheap and fast as I can. I want to leave the "industry" to those why don't care (because I sell to those who can't), yet utilize their technology to my benefit.

Quote:
I am sure gonna try and...........chug chug chug I think I can I think I can. Challenging conventional wisdom is the thing we are trying to get past. Everything has to start with a good idea. Thanks Jim.

AL

Back
Top Bottom