bright blue green poop

Safeguard is also Fenbendazole. I would definitely use either that or Valbazen. If you are going to deworm and discard eggs you might as well use something that is effective rather then Wazine. Deworming will not hurt your chickens, but the parasites definitely will!

You can take a fecal sample to a vet if you want to pay for that. The Safeguard will take care of any worms they have except tapes, the Valbazen will take care of everything.

Last edited:
Okay Im going to bring it to the vet and they can give me what I need in case its valbazen cuz I can't get that. This is my first time with chickens and I would rather be safe than sorry :)

Okay Im going to bring it to the vet and they can give me what I need in case its valbazen cuz I can't get that. This is my first time with chickens and I would rather be safe than sorry :)
Sounds like a plan. I posted links for you in #18 that explains how to do the doses. The bottom thread has poop like yours, maybe tapeworm. Apparently they are hard to get rid of. Wear gloves handling that poop. You do not want it.

Last edited:
Just a comment on vets: Is your vet an avian vet with experience treating chickens? If not they are likely to suggest Ivomec or any one of the other Ivermectin dewormers. Ivermectin has been shown to be loosing it's effectiveness in poultry and avian vets who are familiar with poultry usually don't use it anymore unless they are treating for mites/lice. Just something to be aware of so you don't spend money on something that may not take care of your problem. My avian vet does not use ivermectin's anymore but recommends Fenbendazole or Albendazole, Safeguard and Valbazen.

Sounds like a plan. I posted links for you in #18 that explains how to do the doses. The bottom thread has poop like yours, maybe tapeworm. Apparently they are hard to get rid of. Wear gloves handling that poop. You do not want it.

Okay should I not eat the eggs that I collected today?

Just a comment on vets:  Is your vet an avian vet with experience treating chickens?  If not they are likely to suggest Ivomec or any one of the other Ivermectin dewormers.  Ivermectin has been shown to be loosing it's effectiveness in poultry and avian vets who are familiar with poultry usually don't use it anymore unless they are treating for mites/lice.  Just something to be aware of so you don't spend money on something that may not take care of your problem.  My avian vet does not use ivermectin's anymore but recommends Fenbendazole or Albendazole, Safeguard and Valbazen.
they are the vet I use for my goats and they also treat chickens and exotic animals so hopefully they will know about ivormectin!
Thanks guys I appreciate the help!

I just found this poop
sad.png
looks like eggs. Do I need to worm my girls? If so how do I worm them?

Dear chickengirl1193 these are definately tape worm segments. Treat your birds for tape worms. here ate some pictures for reference

Yes you need to treat any animals on your property for worms that share the same area with the birds, did you take a sample to the vet to confirm what your dealing with?

Back
Top Bottom