Bright green discharge from nose and mouth after death...help!

TamiHunter

Songster
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Saint Helens, Oregon
I had a rooster die today and noticed alot of bright green discharge from it's nose and mouth after death. Didn't notice it before he died. He was listless and was also very thin. He seemed fine up untill today. I have tried to find an answer here on the forum but to no avail. Can anyone tell me what the green mucus was and If I should be worried about the rest of my flock?
Thank you in advance!! Just want to know what happened to him. I have never seen this before...:-(

I don't know what killed your roo but I will tell you to have a necropsy done. Most states have labs that do them for little to no cost.

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Without a necropsy, you won't know for sure what killed him or if your other chickens are at risk.

I have already buried him. I didn't think of having that done seeing as you can usually find all the info needed on this forum. Hope someone on here can tell me what it is. It was so very bright green....He sure was a pretty roo. we called him a salt and pepper colored silkie!
hit.gif

He will be missed.

If it hasn't been too long, I would unbury him, wrap him in a plastic bag and stick him in the fridge. This forum is full of great advice but no one can tell you exactly why/how your chicken died without doing a necropsy. I don't like the loss of weight and the bright green discharge...they are all signs of Marek's...and, him being a silkie doesn't help. They are very susceptible to Marek's.

I have already buried him. I didn't think of having that done seeing as you can usually find all the info needed on this forum. Hope someone on here can tell me what it is. It was so very bright green....He sure was a pretty roo. we called him a salt and pepper colored silkie!
hit.gif

He will be missed.
I went through the same pain today and know how you feel 😭 But know I will be with him again because of Jesus ~ can't wait ! xxx

Back
Top Bottom