Bring the girls inside?

Mnachicks

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2022
With this heat wave we’re having, would it be ok to just bring the girls inside for a few days until it’s over? When it “cools off”, it will still be in the mid to upper 80’s but it won’t be so humid. Will it be too much of a shock to their system to go from an air conditioned house back out into the heat? They have a covered run with access to plenty of water and shade. Their coop is very well ventilated- all the windows are open, but there’s just no breeze.

Attachments

• F6DB5954-C6A4-4C1B-81B6-9A15C805F0D9.jpeg
    F6DB5954-C6A4-4C1B-81B6-9A15C805F0D9.jpeg
    914.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 77120B96-189D-482E-A6AD-73268A61DFBB.jpeg
    77120B96-189D-482E-A6AD-73268A61DFBB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? If you put your general location into your profile people can give you better-targeted advice.

Chickens hate change and would be very stressed by the move to an unfamiliar environment.

You need to add shade to your setup -- a cheap picnic pavilion would work:

0902210823_hdr-jpg.3147448

Or a few tarps or some shadecloth strung up on ropes. Some members even use beach umbrellas.

Here's my article on hot climate chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

And another article on extreme weather: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Very cute setup you have there❤ I wouldn't bring them in, it would be quite the shock. Just make sure they have fresh cool water (throw some ice cube in their waterers if you like) good deep shade, turn their food into a wet mash and put it in the freezer for a few. I completely understand where you're coming from, I'm in central Texas and it has been high 90's-102 the past week with the heat index at 106ish and humidity in the 80% range. Even with a few breeds that aren't suited for it necessarily they are doing fine.

Very cute setup you have there❤ I wouldn't bring them in, it would be quite the shock. Just make sure they have fresh cool water (throw some ice cube in their waterers if you like) good deep shade, turn their food into a wet mash and put it in the freezer for a few. I completely understand where you're coming from, I'm in central Texas and it has been high 90's-102 the past week with the heat index at 106ish and humidity in the 80% range. Even with a few breeds that aren't suited for it necessarily they are doing fine.
Thanks! I almost brought them inside last night. When I went to check on them before I went to bed, they were all in the coop, on their roosts, but they were panting. We usually don’t keep food and water in the coop, but since it was so humid, I gave them fresh, cool ice water, added some electrolytes, put a bunch of ice cubes in it, and hung it in the coop so they could stay hydrated. The girls are only 11 weeks old and just moved out to the coop a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks! I almost brought them inside last night. When I went to check on them before I went to bed, they were all in the coop, on their roosts, but they were panting. We usually don’t keep food and water in the coop, but since it was so humid, I gave them fresh, cool ice water, added some electrolytes, put a bunch of ice cubes in it, and hung it in the coop so they could stay hydrated. The girls are only 11 weeks old and just moved out to the coop a couple of weeks ago.
Keep in mind that they don't eat or drink while they sleep, but all of those things are fine if that's what you want to do. I give my ladies electrolytes once a week when it's crazy hot, and the occasional zucchini or cucumber from the fridge as they are 80-90% water and that also helps them hydrate. Just keep doing what you're doing. Where are you located in general? What breeds do you have?

If you give ice water also give plain water.

Chickens hate change and might not drink the ice water because it's too weird for them.

Check shade position several times a day. What is shady in the morning is often in the blazing sun in the pm. Lean a pallet against a wall will give shade, with out blocking the breeze.
I too agree - don't bring them in, that will make you feel better, but will stress them. And I am not a fan of ice water - I think it can shock the system. Enough water is important.

Mrs K

And I am not a fan of ice water - I think it can shock the system.
Agrees.
Once give mine ice water, one bird guzzled it down then staggered around shaking her head with what I can only imagine was an 'ice cream headache'. She recovered within about 10 minutes, but I never gave them ice water again....just an ice block slowly melting in a shallow pan for sipping and wading.

Back
Top Bottom