Bringing chicks in to existing flock

DanaSue11

In the Brooder
May 4, 2016
Edmonds, WA
Hi! I have three 18 month old hens. I'm considering introducing two 6 week old Cream Legbar pullets into the flock. I believe my hens were vaccinated for Marek's. The new pullets are not. Should I be concerned with combining vaccinated and unvaccinated?

Your real issue is, as has been mentioned above, integration of the little ones. Your older birds are still of an age where they may take great sport in trying to bully the small ones. The little guys need a safe refuge for when they get chased.

Some say to wait until the chicks are almost full size, but I find it easier to integrate them while they're still very young. Give them a week in a safe enclosure in the run to observe the older girls while the older girls become accustomed to them. Then open chick-size openings, more than one for safety, so the chicks can begin to mingle. They'll scoot back inside the "panic room" as I like to call it, when they get chased.

This is also a good place to have food and water for them so they aren't chased away from getting enough to eat and drink. I make the openings 5 x 7 inches so they accommodate the chicks until they're around 10 weeks old. You can also raise the sides of the pen, creating a horizontal opening all around for the chicks to duck under.

This panic room gets your chicks integrated easily and safely while they're still small enough not to pose a threat to the big girls, shortening the length of time for integration.

Your real issue is, as has been mentioned above, integration of the little ones. Your older birds are still of an age where they may take great sport in trying to bully the small ones. The little guys need a safe refuge for when they get chased.

Some say to wait until the chicks are almost full size, but I find it easier to integrate them while they're still very young. Give them a week in a safe enclosure in the run to observe the older girls while the older girls become accustomed to them. Then open chick-size openings, more than one for safety, so the chicks can begin to mingle. They'll scoot back inside the "panic room" as I like to call it, when they get chased.

This is also a good place to have food and water for them so they aren't chased away from getting enough to eat and drink. I make the openings 5 x 7 inches so they accommodate the chicks until they're around 10 weeks old. You can also raise the sides of the pen, creating a horizontal opening all around for the chicks to duck under.

This panic room gets your chicks integrated easily and safely while they're still small enough not to pose a threat to the big girls, shortening the length of time for integration.
I like this idea. I have four hens that are four years old and four chicks that are 8 weeks old. The chicks have been in the coop that is divided in half for two weeks. The yard is also divided. I would like to take the division down to give the chicks more room now that they are bigger. My question is: if the chicks are supposed to have chick feed and the hens have layer feed how do you get the chicks to eat what they are supposed to?
Thank you

I like this idea. I have four hens that are four years old and four chicks that are 8 weeks old. The chicks have been in the coop that is divided in half for two weeks. The yard is also divided. I would like to take the division down to give the chicks more room now that they are bigger. My question is: if the chicks are supposed to have chick feed and the hens have layer feed how do you get the chicks to eat what they are supposed to?
Thank you
I heard to just give them all starter crumbles, and put a little calcium(shells or something) beside it. The big chickens will eat the calcium as they need it.

The main difference is the chick starter has more protein, and less calcium I think.
More protein wont hurt anything. But they say you don't want the babies eating the layer pellets/crumbles.

Thank you

You should put out a feed they can all eat such as an all flock (starter/grower is nearly the same) feed and offer crushed oyster shells on the side as free choice. The youngens won't be interested in the calcium in the shells.

Back
Top Bottom