Bringing home new hens

That's good that all went well, as for the dog rounding them up, I may be wrong but it could be a sign of him/her protecting them.
The farm I bought my chickens from the man there had a German Shepard and he told me that it acts as a guard dog to the chickens.
Could be good if the dog is doing that then he/she will scare off any predators.

My dog heards them back to the coop too. I think it's to protect them as well. I have a 20ft by 20ft fully enclosed pen and she knows that's where they belong because I only let them out for an hour or so a day.

He’s done this pretty much every night now. He keeps his distance from them during the day because I tell him to leave them alone. But once I tell him it’s ok .. he’ll send them back to the coop. It’s a little more like he chases them back in than rounding them up but maybe he’ll get better at that lol

Is your dog a herding breed? That's pretty awesome that he is doing that. My dog (Beagle/spaniel mix) would chase and drive them to the ground, then eat them. Bad dog! She goes nuts just seeing them in their coop and run.

Mines a American Standard and lab mix and she heards them gently,she never bothers them just watches them do what chickens do. When I say it's time to put the birds up she starts hearding them towards the pen. The only way I think she knows how to do it is by watching me the first few weeks we had them. Not to brag but she is the most brillain't dog I've ever owned. Her only limitations is me.

He’s done this pretty much every night now. He keeps his distance from them during the day because I tell him to leave them alone. But once I tell him it’s ok .. he’ll send them back to the coop. It’s a little more like he chases them back in than rounding them up but maybe he’ll get better at that lol
Good Dog....and dog keeper!

Back
Top Bottom