Bringing in new chicks

Beemer111

Hatching
7 Years
May 4, 2012
Hi,

I'm new to raising chickens. We bought 3 chicks from our local hardware store last Saturday a Rhode Island Red, a Barred Plymouth Rock and a Buff Orpington. We got the lamp, chicken feed, a waterer and a large open top box to keep them in. They were exhausted the first day and pretty much just slept. All of them were eating fine, drinking, pooping, and being from what I could tell, happy chickens.

Yesterday the BPR was acting kind of funny. She kept looking up and almost looked like a baby bird stretching its head up and opening her beak to be fed. She also had been very slow to grow and had decidedly fewer feathers than the other two. Today when I came home, she was dead. The other two seem perfectly fine and have gained weight and are busy growing feathers. They seem like healthy happy chicks.

My question is this, I keep reading that you should have a minimum of three chickens, we only have two now. I would like to get two new ones but being new at this, I don't know, is it safe to get two new ones and put them with the week old ones? Will the older ones be mean to the younger ones? Will the new ones be a danger to my week olds because of potential health issues? As far as the Hardware store, they say that all of their chicks are certified disease free but I don't want to take any risks. An advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

We purchased two barred plymouth rocks from a breeder up in brissie, and that is fine having two. Last yearsome time we bought only one chick a silkie bantam cause it was so **** adorable, but a week later we dicided that she had to have a partner because she was so lonely and we got her a partner and she absolutely loved him. Because they are so young it doesn't really matter if you get a few more (fighting), I'm sorry to hear about you BPR.

Thanks so much for your reply! Sorry it took me a little while to get back to BYC:) We actually went to the Hardware store and they told us that because they are all still so young, it would be fine to add the new chicks. We were actually lucky, they had some left-over chicks from the same shipment that our first set came from so we picked up two more BPRs. According to the Hardware guys, all the chicks to come certified disease free so they said we wouldn't have to worry.

The new guys have been with us since last Saturday, so almost a week and they have settled in nicely. In the meantime, we have started to work on our chicken coop. I am trying to build the whole thing from recycled items. Our neighbor put out two platform beds that he had built for his kids. We picked those up and a little extra lumber and so far so good. I have come up with a design that I think is pretty nice (inspired by the garden arc) and should also be predator proof and comfortable for the girls. I will post pictures of it soon.

Thanks again for your advice!

I have thrown day olds in with 4 week old girls, and they have been fine... You shouldnt have a problem..... They MIGHT peck a little bit, but as long as they dont draw blood it will be fine.. If they do draw blood, remove the bird immediatley...

I have thrown day olds in with 4 week old girls, and they have been fine... You shouldnt have a problem..... They MIGHT peck a little bit, but as long as they dont draw blood it will be fine.. If they do draw blood, remove the bird immediatley...

I have also introduced young ones to older ones - 3-day-olds with 8-week-olds. I was pleasantly surprised - and very thankful - that the older girls immediately accepted the new ones, and actually took them under their wings - literally - to help keep them warm at night. My RIR alpha hen made it clear right off the top that she's in charge, but there was no noticeable pecking! You should be fine - just watch them closely, as suggested.

Have a great day, and God bless!

Back
Top Bottom