Bringing New hens home

McChickenMc

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2018
Pacifica, California
I recently won the lottery with all 4 of the hatchlings I got finding their rooster voice. I had to rehome the
I bought (2) 6 month Rhode Island reds and (2) red star hens. They were laying before I got them 4 days ago.

They are so different than my. Cochin roosters! So docile. They let me pick them up easily, but seem to prefer hanging out in the roost allllll day vs. free range. When I out then in our yard they huddled in a corner together.

Should I ignore them fir a few more days? I don't want to terrify them as they get used to their new home.

Also, how long does it take for them to get comfortable/lay? Any thing I should do different?

They are young birds that have suddenly been moved to a new home. They are confused and terrified. Give them time to adjust. They don't know what happened. I don't think it will matter if you interact with them or not as long as they aren't looking stressed out by it.

Agree with oldhenlikesdogs. So long as they are not being picked on or terrorized by your original flock, and they are getting enough food and water, I would leave them alone for a while and let them adjust at their own pace. They need as little stress now as possible. There's not telling when they will lay again. It will happen after they adjust, when they are ready. They are also probably adjusting to new feed, which can temporarily set things off balance, too.

Hello! I usually gradually introduce my new girls into the flock by putting them in a seperate cage where the others can see them but not attack them. If they have already laid before I would say give it a week or two and they should comfortably start laying again.
Good luck with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom