Bringing roosters inside at night

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Hello all,

I have a question about bringing my 3 Serama chickens inside at night. The rooster, Sir Screech A Lot, crows early. While I am allowed roosters I'm my town I don't want to upset neighbors. In an attempt to curb the disturbance of early morning crows I decided to bring him and his 2 ladies inside at night. They are in a dog crate with a perch and moving blanket covering the top and 3 sides. I don't mind the crowing, which started a little later in the morning, and the neighbors should not be disturbed. Problem fixed.

My actual question is, they are in the sunroom which happens to be weaving room! I sometimes like to weave at night, usually never past 11pm, but obviously the lights are on. Will this disturb their sleep cycle too much? Not really any other space to easily put them. Maybe I can completely cover the crate while I'm up and lift it when I turn off the lights?

Any advice is appreciated! I want to keep this adorable flock of 3, good relations with my neighbors and keep weaving! Am I hoping for something unattainable?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_220820241.jpg
    PXL_20210720_220820241.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 105
Following. Curious of the answer. I am not allowed roos, though I hear one faintly down the road sometimes, I may need to bring mine in if he starts too early because I do have a neighbor that complains about everything. I am building a coop on the opposite side if the yard just because of him.

I will put a small coop in the garage. Never a car in there. It be a better place considering the dust. Best of luck!

Hi from another weaver! I hope my boy annoys the neighbors. The sound has to carry over an acre away to the ones next door. But they have hunting dogs that go off for unknown reasons sometimes, and they had the barkingest male "pet" hunting dog for two years. They're not gonna say anything.

On the weaving front, I don't want Husky glitter and dust issues in my fiber and paperwork, so my Huskies are Not allowed in my studio/office. Sometimes my little girl Husky will cry if I don't come down for a few hours, which os super rare because I work outside, too, but during office hours I trained them as puppies to sleep or chew toys.

We are conditioned to be quiet and not annoy anyone; meanwhile to a person everyone else is loud and annoying anytime they please. 😂

My sweet roo is a good teacher, showing me to "sound my barbaric yawp." He crows for treats and sometimes midday if he hears me outside and I don't stop by the run right away. But he is part of nature, and so am I.

As much as I like peace, the hawks, crows, songbirds, and other birds make me happy when they call. And when I talk to my animals (because of course I do) I make them happy. Can't make everyone happy, but that's part of nature, too. 😅

Speaking as a handspinner, I absolutely would NOT want to have chicken dander and the dust from their poop among my fibers.

Have any neighbors complained? You might be worrying over nothing. :)
I most definitely thought of the dust because dear hubs put the BROODER with 8 chicks IN MY CRAFT ROOM! :mad: I am still finding dust 15 months later 😡 I decided to use an old rag rug or towel with dog pee pads and pull it right out in the morning so and use a new one every night. It's the easiest location because the crate door opens right to the door outside and is easy access from the coop. The moving blanket covers the top and all sides that are facing the room.
I really wanted to spin but have the hardest time. I'm currently giving away a spinning wheel and fleeces. With the limited time I have to spend I've decided to just stick with weaving for now. Lol
Yes, ditto! That dust gets EVERYWHERE!!

(@3KillerBs, I used to spin. I want to get back into it.)
See above for dust issues and you definitely need to get back to spinning! Or some kind of fiber arts. Weaving is quite awesome, imo😉
Hi from another weaver! I hope my boy annoys the neighbors. The sound has to carry over an acre away to the ones next door. But they have hunting dogs that go off for unknown reasons sometimes, and they had the barkingest male "pet" hunting dog for two years. They're not gonna say anything.

On the weaving front, I don't want Husky glitter and dust issues in my fiber and paperwork, so my Huskies are Not allowed in my studio/office. Sometimes my little girl Husky will cry if I don't come down for a few hours, which os super rare because I work outside, too, but during office hours I trained them as puppies to sleep or chew toys.

We are conditioned to be quiet and not annoy anyone; meanwhile to a person everyone else is loud and annoying anytime they please. 😂

My sweet roo is a good teacher, showing me to "sound my barbaric yawp." He crows for treats and sometimes midday if he hears me outside and I don't stop by the run right away. But he is part of nature, and so am I.

As much as I like peace, the hawks, crows, songbirds, and other birds make me happy when they call. And when I talk to my animals (because of course I do) I make them happy. Can't make everyone happy, but that's part of nature, too. 😅
Hey! I love meeting other weavers! And seriously, your weaving studio is your "office"? I am so envious! :bow

Here's my pup getting stuck under my loom trying to get to me. Apparently I am only allowed a certain amount of time before she really needs to get to me. Now mind you she is a tall 100+ still growing puppy and I had to climb under to get her unstuck! Hahahha

No one has complained but if someone does I think the city makes you re-home them. And I REALLY love Sir Screech A Lot and his 2 ladies. They are hilarious!

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_202644_01.jpg
    IMG_20210904_202644_01.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 16
I most definitely thought of the dust because dear hubs put the BROODER with 8 chicks IN MY CRAFT ROOM! :mad: I am still finding dust 15 months later 😡 I decided to use an old rag rug or towel with dog pee pads and pull it right out in the morning so and use a new one every night. It's the easiest location because the crate door opens right to the door outside and is easy access from the coop. The moving blanket covers the top and all sides that are facing the room.
I really wanted to spin but have the hardest time. I'm currently giving away a spinning wheel and fleeces. With the limited time I have to spend I've decided to just stick with weaving for now. Lol

See above for dust issues and you definitely need to get back to spinning! Or some kind of fiber arts. Weaving is quite awesome, imo😉

Hey! I love meeting other weavers! And seriously, your weaving studio is your "office"? I am so envious! :bow

Here's my pup getting stuck under my loom trying to get to me. Apparently I am only allowed a certain amount of time before she really needs to get to me. Now mind you she is a tall 100+ still growing puppy and I had to climb under to get her unstuck! Hahahha

No one has complained but if someone does I think the city makes you re-home them. And I REALLY love Sir Screech A Lot and his 2 ladies. They are hilarious!
Cute puppy!!!

Sounds like if your roos are not moving around, it may be okay. Our brooder in the garage was a mess. Plus we used First Saturday Lime to make it worse for ourselves. 😂 I'm deep cleaning it this week, as a matter of fact, since we're gaining our son's old car and we'd like to park in the garage again.

My studio/office cleaning went well. Sold our office right before the pandemic--talk about timing! So now I office from home in my fiber studio, which has an antique bed just in case we need it when we host Christmas.

My loom is in the loft outside my office because I argue it's art. 😅

D9951D10-AE80-4A62-B75B-3EECF3F81EB3.jpeg

Oh my gosh so neat and organized! I'll never show you a pic of my craft room😂

And yeah, I set them in after they've roosted for the night so it's dark and let them back out around 7:30-8 am which I think is an ok time for crowing. I hear dogs and most people are up living near schools and the U of I campus.

Don't look at the track lines, it was my first project on my new, to me, sectional beam. If you have a sectional beam and know how to not get those message me please! I am warping for baby blankets next. I am a great aunt again!

Attachments

• PXL_20210905_200954863.jpg
    PXL_20210905_200954863.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom