Bringing them home

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gotpotbellypig, Mar 27, 2012.

1. gotpotbellypig

gotpotbellypig Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Hi yall! We are gettin more baby chicks this spring. What kind of housing do they need when you first bring them home? It is a long drive back so what can the sit in while we are driving? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Look in the learning Center above for brooders.

I suggest a cardboard box with a top and with ventilation holes up high.

3. gotpotbellypig

Mar 27, 2012
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sorry for my short answer yesterday but I was in a bit of a hurry. I wrote some about a brooder in this thread. You might find it helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/643598/chick-rooster#post_8678100

As far as bringing them home, the hatcheries use cardboard boxes to ship them in. These are well covered but they have small ventilation holes up high to let in fresh air. As long as the box is upright, this keep breezes off them yet gives good air exchange.

I don't know how many you are getting. how long the trip is, or how old they are. Hatcheries normally have minimums of between 15 and 25 chicks so they can generate heat and keep each other warm during shipping. You don't want them too warm because heat can kill them, but you don't want them to chill either. So keep that box out of direct sun and don't let your car become a greenhouse if you stop to eat. If you only have a few where you are worried about them keeping each other warm, you can put a hot water bottle in there with them.

5. gotpotbellypig

Mar 27, 2012
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    thanks so much! we are gettin 7 chicks and it is a one hour drive. Thanks for the advice. i am probably gonna put a warm bottle with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by