Bringing them home

gotpotbellypig

Songster
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi yall! We are gettin more baby chicks this spring. What kind of housing do they need when you first bring them home? It is a long drive back so what can the sit in while we are driving? Thanks!
jumpy.gif

Sorry for my short answer yesterday but I was in a bit of a hurry. I wrote some about a brooder in this thread. You might find it helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/643598/chick-rooster#post_8678100

As far as bringing them home, the hatcheries use cardboard boxes to ship them in. These are well covered but they have small ventilation holes up high to let in fresh air. As long as the box is upright, this keep breezes off them yet gives good air exchange.

I don't know how many you are getting. how long the trip is, or how old they are. Hatcheries normally have minimums of between 15 and 25 chicks so they can generate heat and keep each other warm during shipping. You don't want them too warm because heat can kill them, but you don't want them to chill either. So keep that box out of direct sun and don't let your car become a greenhouse if you stop to eat. If you only have a few where you are worried about them keeping each other warm, you can put a hot water bottle in there with them.

Back
Top Bottom