Brinsea -can't get humidity right

Perform a salt test on you hygrometer when this hatch is over. It's definitely off. Condensation is caused by water saturation of air at a given temperature. The plastic is colder than air inside so condenses on it, that said the hotter the air the more moisture it can hold. For instance dew point at 22 C is 60% humidity and you're getting dew in a 37 C incubator, that's over 70% RH.

Plenty of threads on salt tests. Gig is salt naturally wants to stay at 75% RH and is extremely stable so that number is just a fraction percent off over a range of 40 F to 100F. So any hygrometer in a salt environment must read 75%. How far it's off is your calibration and that difference is always added or subtracted to the readings for true RH.

With a small hand unit you put a cap of saturated salt and hygrometer in a zip seal bag and wait over 4 hours until the hygrometer reading is stable for an hour. 75-your reading= calibration. Ex. 75-82= -7. You'd always subtract 7 from readings for true RH. Thinking the Brinsea has a built in hygrometer on digital display. I'd think you'd need more salt, say a coffee cup size container filled half an inch with salt should do it. Add drops of water until salt is saturated, I pour off any standing water. Put the cup right in the incubator, heating unit does not need to be on but hygrometer needs to be reading. Beauty of it is the salt is stable and will be darn close to 75% RH at 100 F that any minute difference is mute. After 6 hours or stable reading write the calibration on masking tape and stick right to incubator as reminder of what to adjust so you know true RH.

Of course it may not work to salt test in incubator if it's on as the salt would dry out before reaching 75%. You'd need a larger shallow pan of saturated salt if that was the case. Almost easier to pick up a cheap Accurite or other simple small unit as a box store like Walmart for $7 and do the test with milk cap of saturated salt and quart zip seal bag. Once calibrated can be used to calibrate the incubator unit by putting the hand held in incubator.

Last edited:
Perform a salt test on you hygrometer when this hatch is over. It's definitely off. Condensation is caused by water saturation of air at a given temperature. The plastic is colder than air inside so condenses on it, that said the hotter the air the more moisture it can hold. For instance dew point at 22 C is 60% humidity and you're getting dew in a 37 C incubator, that's over 70% RH.

Plenty of threads on salt tests. Gig is salt naturally wants to stay at 75% RH and is extremely stable so that number is just a fraction percent off over a range of 40 F to 100F. So any hygrometer in a salt environment must read 75%. How far it's off is your calibration and that difference is always added or subtracted to the readings for true RH.

With a small hand unit you put a cap of saturated salt and hygrometer in a zip seal bag and wait over 4 hours until the hygrometer reading is stable for an hour. 75-your reading= calibration. Ex. 75-82= -7. You'd always subtract 7 from readings for true RH. Thinking the Brinsea has a built in hygrometer on digital display. I'd think you'd need more salt, say a coffee cup size container filled half an inch with salt should do it. Add drops of water until salt is saturated, I pour off any standing water. Put the cup right in the incubator, heating unit does not need to be on but hygrometer needs to be reading. Beauty of it is the salt is stable and will be darn close to 75% RH at 100 F that any minute difference is mute. After 6 hours or stable reading write the calibration on masking tape and stick right to incubator as reminder of what to adjust so you know true RH.

Of course it may not work to salt test in incubator if it's on as the salt would dry out before reaching 75%. You'd need a larger shallow pan of saturated salt if that was the case. Almost easier to pick up a cheap Accurite or other simple small unit as a box store like Walmart for $7 and do the test with milk cap of saturated salt and quart zip seal bag. Once calibrated can be used to calibrate the incubator unit by putting the hand held in incubator.

Thankyou. My husbands just put a thermometer in the incubator (a good one) and it's reading too low. My incubator now says 40 and the thermometer is saying 37, so when my brinsea was saying 37.6 it was really at about 34
1f62d.png
Gutted! It's been at this temp for 21 days. Do you think we should give up hope at that temperature? I've read different things

Thankyou. My husbands just put a thermometer in the incubator (a good one) and it's reading too low. My incubator now says 40 and the thermometer is saying 37, so when my brinsea was saying 37.6 it was really at about 34
1f62d.png
Gutted! It's been at this temp for 21 days. Do you think we should give up hope at that temperature? I've read different things

Oh dear... Im so sorry! Keep on at the right temp and see if any hatch (don't stop halfway!!)
sad.png

I've done some googling and brinsea rant and rave about how accurate their thermometers are so we set it back and are hoping that the other one is slightly out. Problem is it's 2nd hand and apparently need calibrating every couple of years, but we've no way to tell for sure which one is right! We didn't put the eggs in til 4pm on Tuesday so holding out hope tomorrow will be the day!!

My brinsea I generally pretty accurate.

Can you do a water test on the thermometer you were checking the brinsea temp with.

Fill glass with ice. Top off with cold water. Stir. Let it set for 3 min. Stir again. Put in thermometer don't touch the sides. Let set in their a couple min.

It should read 32 farenheit. If it doesn't add or subtract. What it is off. If it read 34 you know it's 2 degrees to the high side.

If you don't have any pips give them a quick candling and look at development at this stage you should see beaks in the aircell if they are on schedule.

Back
Top Bottom