Brinsea Ecoglow users. Question using in coop.

FireflyTX

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 8, 2017
I am a newbie. I just got my bay chicks a week ago and they are doing great in my garage with my Brinsea ecoglow. They love it and it's so fun to watch them come in and out as they please. I have them in a kiddy pool surrounded by 3 foot chicken wire and I have it lined with puppy pads. So far am I doing ok? The are very active little babies!!!

I live in Texas and I was wondering if at any point have any of you tried to keep the chicks in the outside coop with the Ecoglow warmer since we live in a warmer state. Any experience or rule of thumb to move them out before feather with the warmer. My neighbor does this but with a regular heat lamp and those scare me off since it may start a fire. The coop is 6x8 foot with good ventilation and the one part of the coop is completely blocked off from wind.

Hi :welcome

I've used the Brinsea Ecoglow outside in a small coop/run combo to grow some cockerels on and they did just fine. They were about 2 weeks old when I put them out. We even had a few frosty/chilly spring nights and they were fine. I'm over in the uk so a tad cooler than yourself with the weather. I find with heat plate brooder that they feather up faster. This article is a great read ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...er-and-healthier-options-to-heat-your-brooder

Good luck with your chicks and enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited:
What a great article! I have to agree with it. My little babies are barely under it during the day and the only reason I think they stay under it at night is cause I turn the lights off in the garage and they know it's time for bed. I am hoping to put them out in the coop in a couple weeks. The lowest it will dip is 40 degrees Fahrenheit. But only at night. In a few weeks it won't even go that low.

I am a newbie. I just got my bay chicks a week ago and they are doing great in my garage with my Brinsea ecoglow. They love it and it's so fun to watch them come in and out as they please. I have them in a kiddy pool surrounded by 3 foot chicken wire and I have it lined with puppy pads. So far am I doing ok? The are very active little babies!!!

I live in Texas and I was wondering if at any point have any of you tried to keep the chicks in the outside coop with the Ecoglow warmer since we live in a warmer state. Any experience or rule of thumb to move them out before feather with the warmer. My neighbor does this but with a regular heat lamp and those scare me off since it may start a fire. The coop is 6x8 foot with good ventilation and the one part of the coop is completely blocked off from wind.
I do this with a similar home-made ecoglow. I use a smaller 2 piece plastic dog house----removing the bottom piece and just using the top of the dog house and put the ecoglow under it towards the back----this block of the area on 3 sides and a little on the 4th side around the ecoglow so no wind is blowing under it. I use pine chips under it. Works great even in freezing weather with 2 week old chicks.

This is great to read, I’ve just transitioned my almost 5 week old chicks into their coop & have put their Ecoglow heater out with them. I was beginning to panic I may have put them out too early but reading this has made me feel a little better. I’m in the UK & temps can be as low as 3/4 degrees C overnight so I’m hoping the ecoglow will be enough 😕

Back
Top Bottom