Brinsea EcoGlow

Shepshill

Songster
Feb 19, 2018
New Jersey
I am trying a Brinsea EcoGlow for my chicks this year. Last year, with my first chicks, I used a heat lamp and found it hard to adjust the temperature down by five degrees a week. I would get it set only to find it had drooped later in the day and the brooder was back to 95 degrees. I am pleased with the EcoGlow so far, though admittedly it has only been a couple of days. I worried about getting the height right, but the chicks took to it immediately. I saw in another thread that you can set one end higher up so the chicks can pick their spot. I might try that when it is time to adjust it. Fingers crossed that I continue to love this product.

Attachments

• C4FCD7A4-4935-4A14-A98B-DDB3381636FB.jpeg
    C4FCD7A4-4935-4A14-A98B-DDB3381636FB.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 29
Heater plates one of the easiest and most natural ways to raise chicks without a broody hen. I'm sure you'll continue to love it and so will your chicks. Have you tried setting up a brooder in the coop so your adults and babies can see each other? It makes integration practically seamless and much less stressful.
I used these articles to help me with my integrations:
Integrating at 4 weeks old
Coop Brooder and Integration

I've used an eco glow for about a year and a half now. And I gotta say i love it. Hate heat lamps the risk of fire, pasty butt, unnatural light and the fact that it take 8 weeks before they can be off heat. The only time I'll use on is if one of my broodies goes broody in winter and the chicks need extra heat and the eco glow dosent do good in 32 below weather. Otherwise I'll never use a heat lamp.

For mine I start out on the lowests level till they can hardley fit under it then I raise it up a level. But most of the time when I need to raise it up a level there off heat completely. I mean I still keep the eco glow in there and raised but they mostly only go under it for comfort and to snuggle not necessarily for heat. It's much more natural and uses less electricity. The only downside is it dosent work to well in weather below 50°f outside.

I've used an eco glow for about a year and a half now. And I gotta say i love it. Hate heat lamps the risk of fire, pasty butt, unnatural light and the fact that it take 8 weeks before they can be off heat. The only time I'll use on is if one of my broodies goes broody in winter and the chicks need extra heat and the eco glow dosent do good in 32 below weather. Otherwise I'll never use a heat lamp.

For mine I start out on the lowests level till they can hardley fit under it then I raise it up a level. But most of the time when I need to raise it up a level there off heat completely. I mean I still keep the eco glow in there and raised but they mostly only go under it for comfort and to snuggle not necessarily for heat. It's much more natural and uses less electricity. The only downside is it dosent work to well in weather below 50°f outside.

For how long did they fit under the plate at the lowest level?

I'm trying to rember cause every chick its diffrent. I haven't raised standard sized chicks in forever probaly over a year cause i breed seramas and even then I've only had broodies riase them I haven't hatched any out...I've just bought adult large fowl hens. I do have a couple showgirls and a silkie I'm raising with it though the showgirls are about 2 weeks I would probably rise it in about another week.

When the chicks hardley fit under the 1st level I raise it. If I raise it and it's to high I lower it back down. If your unsure just raise it if it's to high lower it back down.

I've never gotten to the 3rd level though minr are always off heat by then and thats by about 4-5 weeks so I think maybe 3 week is when I raise it. I can update you when I raise mine with my current batch though

Back
Top Bottom