Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator

I just bought a Brinsea Oct 20 Eco and the cradle turner....I bought it direct from their site and it REALLY wasn't much more at all than the MINI. I LOVE IT! I just hatched out 9 eggs in it and let me tell you they used up ALOT of room in it...so glad I didn't go with the mini. I would say even trying to hatch more than 12 chicks would be REALLY SQUISHED in the OCT20. Absolutely buy the cradle! It's awesome...once you get it...you'll quickly realize how much work it does!!! I LOVE that it doesn't roll the eggs but rather just tilts them. I LOVED that the temp was preset. I bought a little cheap digital hygrometer from ebay...CHEAP...works awesome! I did have to adjust the temp a few times...but it was really simple and no spikes at all very steady....I just turned it 1/4 of the way and that would increase or decrease the temp by exactly 1 degree! Amazing! I did have to scotch tape the vent holes at the end b/c one stays open and the other only closes most of the way. The tape did the trick and got the humidity up! Once they started hatching the humidity goes up naturally. Then I just used a medicine dropper to add water through the vent hole as needed...easy! I LOVE mine! I would NOT go with the smaller "MINI" version now that I've got the bigger one. BUT...I just want to say that there is a thread on her about the INCUBATOR...on ebay...seems like a GREAT little machine..holds more eggs than the mini...comes with a turner...DIGITAL settings ...and it CHEAP!

Quote:
Hey Scott, how did the hatch go? I know call ducks can be hard to hatch. Did it go well for you and if not do you think the Brinsea mini had anything to do with it?
I'm really debating on getting one of these incubators but really can't justify spending the money as I usually let my broodies do the hatching for me and do have a Hovabator that works just fine if I do need to incubate something. I just think it would be so nice to have a little table-top model for late hatchers or any time I would only have a couple of eggs. I have OEGBs and it seems like such a waste to dig out my BIG old styrofoam bator for 5 or 6 eggs.
big_smile.png

The hatch went well. I have 7 call ducklings now from the hatch. You can see the hatch here.

You can also see a review of the Brinsea Mini Advance on my blog here .

And I've currently got 8 golden pheasant eggs in the Brinsea Mini. All 8 of them are developing. It's a great little incubator.

I have the Mini Advance, and really like it. I thought at first that the eggs weren't turning but they really do. I set my turning time for 20 seconds, and the interval for 1 and 1/2 hours. Haven't hatched yet, still two weeks to go.

This week I recieved my Mini Advanced. I only had 4 fertile eggs left and yesterday I took them out of the Octagon 10 and put them in the Mini Advanced. Hopefully thursday a good hatching.

I set the days on 4, so today would be the last turning day.

Last edited:
We have some chicks hatching in our Eco Mini right now!
big_smile.png
I am concerned about the lack of space.... our first baby is bulldozing all the other eggs around and is getting wedged in against the side of the 'bator. So, I am wondering if we should take that baby out or do we leave it until it is dry? I mean, I know that we 'should' but I am concerned about the other eggs. This is our first hatch so please forgive me if this is a crazy question. Thanks!!

Quote:
I'd leave it until it dries off. Besides removing the dome will make the incubator lose humidity at a very critical stage.

It has been awhile since anyone has commented on here, but I have a few questions about brinseas with christmas coming up. I would like to know how your hatches have gone with these two different incubators:

Mini Advanced
Octagon 20 Advanced

Also for the Mini do you prefer the 12 or 7 egg ring.

Which would you suggest for these breeds, Silkies, Rosecombs, Bantam and Standard Cochins, Rosecombs, Call Ducks, and Khaki Campbells.

Thanks,
Matt

For the mini, I did NOT find that the 12 ring worked for Bantam eggs. I actually put in over 12 eggs and resorted to hand turning them. Most of them hatched (I think 2 did not).

old thread i know, got a question on my mini advance- do i put the pointy side out or in? i ask because i had one hatch that was an orphan egg, and had the point out, and he pipped the wrong end- did i have the set wrong?

Back
Top Bottom