Brinsea mini

I bought it in December I love it. For a small amount of eggs it is perfect. No problems easy as can be. Just be prepared you will get addicted .
smile.png

I just got it and am incubating silkie eggs now, on day 15 I think. No, you don't get the quail egg tray, the normal one is fine. You can program it for smaller circumference eggs! So far, I absolutely love it but like I said it is new to me.

Hi,
No you don't need a smaller tray for silkie eggs. You can fit 7 only.

I had a Hovabator 1588, and when I got my Brinsea mini, I stopped using the Hovabator for incubating, and now use it for hatching only.
Here's a repost of what I've done with my Mini to help my hatches:

I love my Brinsea mini. I did drill a hole through the lovely plexi glass to the back, near the turner gear, and inserted a 2 ft length of silicone airline tubing for fish tanks. I then clear silicone-caulked around the hole to hold in heat & moisture, and the end of the tubing rests in the middle yellow water chamber. This allows me to never open my Brinsea bator except to candle, until Day 18. I use a small glass eye dropper to fill up the chamber(s)

The unit is more energy efficient, I don't know how much, but because it's smaller, and more tightly sealed (?) I think it would be. It is digitally programmable, and it has a temperature alert alarm that will sound if a temp drop happens for some reason. It's never happened to me.

Brinsea Mini (caveat): this unit is so small and non-spacious inside, you'll have to get the absolute smallest hygrometer available to fit in & suspend it from something. I have a round humidor hygrometer which is digital (mine is Madeleine brand) and I have strung a plastic twist-tie through it's upper holes, wound that through the fan-protector plexi glass plate, and electrical-taped the unit to the side of the unit so it is not on the floor. There will not be any extra space in there, period! I have run a digital thermometer in my Brinsea empty for days, with no temp variation showing at all, but not with the eggs in it. I would run a hygrometer the first couple times.

I did the same air tubing method with my Hovabator, but it's too difficult to see down into the water reservoirs during lockdown & hatching, and I have often gotten eggs a little wet.

I always use paper egg cartons to hatch in the Brinsea because of hatched chicks rolling the unhatched eggs. I cut the dish-shaped bottoms out of the carton & I bake the carton bottoms at 375F for 20 minutes to make sure they're sterile. I think that's overdoing it(?) but it works.

If I'm hatching more than 2 eggs, I duct-tape the egg carton bases each to my hatching mat so the first chicks out don't roll them as they're pipping. I take out my egg tray on Day 18 & put in a donut-shaped mat made out of shelf-liner facric -homemade. This prevents tripping & spraddle-leg.

Both Hova (top) & Brinsea (base) have had many extra holes drilled into them to reduce humidity as needed. A little electrical/duct tape can be put over the extra ones when you need to raise or maintain humidity. Not too good for resale value. Oh well! Helped my hatches a lot.
That Brinsea gets too humid with a few wet chicks in it. They dry off very slowly otherwise.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your hatch!

I use paper cartons cut down some for mine too and I love it. Has always been reliable. The dome seems to hold heat and humidity in even when I open it to hand turn.

Quote:
I had a few things to say last year when we got ours.

Only real issue I can report is the design of the motor housing means that condensation forms in that section and pools underneath the drive spindle for the platen.

3777544251_8d27a40565.jpg

Ours has started to rust after just two hatches.

3777574709_c1445c81b2.jpg

I made a little polystyrene insulation jacket for the motor housing that just slipped over it - it helped a little but it's not a real long term solution.

Back
Top Bottom