Brinsea Octagon 20 advance incubator review

Congratulations! I hope you love your new Brinsea - I know I do! But I have found out that, while it is an excellent incubator, there are some breeds who just simply have low hatch rate. I get EXCELLENT hatch rates with my Marans and mixes, but with my Biels, not so good. Part of it is that the Biels just don't have the fertility rate of my Marans, but even so my hatch rate is low with them. That's probably what makes them so expensive!!!!!

Good luck and let us know how the incubator works with you Silkies (SOOOOOO cute)!!!!!

Hmmm - I think I have the Advance Eco (7 eggs, automatic turner), and the Rolls Royce Octagon with automatic turner and automatic humidity pump.

I used an external thermometer that I placed inside the incubator (at the top level of the eggs). I tried all kinds of cheap thermometers first, but they all showed different temps. So I got one from Brinsea - simple but accurate. (Looks like the old fashioned mercury ones).

Hope this helps!
Hi all!

One year, and MANY hatches later, I absolutely LOVE my Brinsea Octogons! Yes, plural - I have two, one used, one new and they both are worth every red cent! After the very first VERY successful hatch, I don't even bother to check the temp, I just check the water every few days, turn them four or so times a day (easy - just tilt to the other direction) and wait for 21 days. Easy to use, easy to clean, easy to watch the little ones hatching - GREAT machine! I've done tons of chickens, some quail, and will be doing some ducks soon. My neighbor has a pair of turkeys and I'm thinking of asking him for a few turkey eggs just to see what happens!

Help!

I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping someone will see this and answer my question. (Of course Brinsea is closed for the day)

I'm setting up my Octagon 20 Advanced for the first time and the cradle for the turner is set way to the right. It has several warnings not to turn by hand. But how do I get it to be level to start?

Thanks so much.

Ok, I need to relax!

First time incubating.
tongue.png

I just waited until it turned back to level then unplugged. I will turn it back on when eggs are set.

Whew, this is going to be a long 28 days.

Ok, I need to relax!

First time incubating.:p

I just waited until it turned back to level then unplugged. I will turn it back on when eggs are set.

Whew, this is going to be a long 28 days.

Good! That's what I would've suggested. I hope you love your incubator; I do mine. I've always had super high hatch rates. Last time I lost 2 of 19 during hatch, and that was surprising to me. But I'm also not afraid to assist a chick that struggles over 24 hours. I love the accuracy of the temp for the Brinsea. I also love the autoturn cradle. Now I'm debating getting the ovation advanced 28. They are in good same right now plus extra 10% off. Good luck with your hatch! I set new eggs last Sunday evening. So hatch date for me would be tro weeks from today . Is that about where you're at too?

May 8th will be 28 days. I'm incubating turkey eggs.

I plan to candle tomorrow.

I only expect half to be fertile, as not all my hens were sitting for my tom.

Do you use the cool down feature?

May 8th will be 28 days. I'm incubating turkey eggs.

I plan to candle tomorrow.

I only expect half to be fertile, as not all my hens were sitting for my tom.

Do you use the cool down feature?

Turkey eggs! How neat. Though I would not like waiting the extra week ;). I have the eco model, so no I don't have a cool down option. I saw that feature on the new ovations. It makes sense if the broody gets off the nest once a day to eat, drink, and defecate then I guess they would cool somewhat. I think the feature is not necessary , however.

Turkey eggs! How neat. Though I would not like waiting the extra week ;). I have the eco model, so no I don't have a cool down option. I saw that feature on the new ovations. It makes sense if the broody gets off the nest once a day to eat, drink, and defecate then I guess they would cool somewhat. I think the feature is not necessary , however.

I decided not to use it this time. But I am wondering if I could start at anytime during incubation?

Hope my candlleng goes well. I am having a hard time keeping the humidity at 45%.

I decided not to use it this time. But I am wondering if I could start at anytime during incubation?

Hope my candlleng goes well. I am having a hard time keeping the humidity at 45%.

I don't know if you could start in in the middle. I don't see why not. Good luck with the candleing! Are you filling both reservoirs or just one?

Back
Top Bottom